Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    San Merah Discus
    Pottasium Permangenate is still used by some people, I haven't used it myself but may have to in the future if drugs such as Trichlorofon become as useless as Prazi.
    MAC

Thanks for sharing that dazzman. Would you like to write a brief article on treating with PP and the results you had with it, length of treatment, dose etc, and I will make a sticky of it here.

If we all put our heads together, and collate all our experiences, I'm sure we can come up with a solution.

Once all the information has been gathered, I will put it all into one big article, so anyone with problems can go to one area for all the information.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg

pp-fied

No worries ladyred,

I think I'll start from the stock solution.

I mix 1g of pp crystals into 1 litre of distilled water and this would give me 1mg/l. you can mix it twice stronger at 2mg/l but I prefer to make it more dilutted just to be safe. you can get these crystals from a pharmacy. It's not a prescribed thing and it comes in a glass bottle. It's pretty cheap too.

After you've mixed it, you'll probably not use all of it at once, so keep it in a dark cool place and throw it out when it becomes a year old. That was the mistake I did a while back with 2 of my adults now in heaven. I had some left overs that have been sitting there for a while and rather than mixing a new batch, I used it for a long term bath and they died. dam... I think the water in the solution may have evaporated and made it more concentrated so although my dose was right, the solution was way too strong. anywaz....

Now a word of caution. DO NOT USE IT WHEN THERE'S FORMALIN PRESENT. the vapours are explosive....

pp works as an oxidising agent and it literally burns up anything organic. First it strips the layer of slime along with any bugs attached to it then if the dose is too stong, it will start burning the skin, gills and all. So be careful.

some prep have to be done first to make the treatment more effective. Give the tank a wipe down and change bout 50% of the water. I use it at 2ml/litre from stock solution for a long term bath and the water should remain purplelish-pink for 4 hours. It will start turning brown as it head towards the end of it's course. I feel that this method is not quite as effective due to a number of factors. The dose may not be strong enough..... There may be too much crap in the tank that it is used up before it even get to the bugs and worst of all, too strong a dose will kill them.

I would reccommend a shorth term bath at 10ml/litre from stock for 30mins. This way you can watch them and if you suspect something wrong, you can bail the them out immediately. Prepare a sterilished tank before you do this and add some salt to encourage slime production. do not use anything from the infected tank as you may be transferring some eggs over.

After adding in the dose, the fish might freak due to the color. Or you can use a pail premixed with water from the same tank. put an air stone and heater because they are going to be in there for a while. I usually scoop one at a time with a bigger net and just leave it in the net while in the pail. Usually the fish will be pretty calm if handled like driving miss daisy. So once the 30mins are up, put them in the sterile tank and let them rest. I feel that by doing this, most of the bugs will be shredded along with the slime and the fish will be more comfortable.

I have used this method a couple of times and it has worked but be really careful with this stuff. Check your calculations over and be sure that it's right before doing it.

I think that's all of it. Hope my explanation made sense.

ps: Made some editing as I realised, after looking again, that I sounded kindda cocky. Didn't mean to folks.

daz

Tiny Fry
    1 mg/l = 1 ppm
    1g/l = 1000ppm

Hi, I'm New Here!
    most gill flukes are no longer affected by trichlorifon which can have some terrible sometimes fatal side effects. if your fish are suffering from perhaps heat related lack of oxygen,you can check by placing a couple of mils of hydrogen peroxide In your tank this will oxygenate the water to see if we really have gill flukes.more fish die from medication then the disease.so think before medicating.pp can work sometimes but can also oxidise the gills before killing the bug.I`ve had some success by placing a powerded prazi tablet (vet grade)in a bucket of the fishes tank water with two tablespoons of cooking salt and a airstone.leave as long as you think the fish can stand it. If this fails try the same with the formalin and salt.good luck.

San Merah Discus
    Since when did Trichlorofon stop working? First I've heard of it.
    MAC

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Since 1991 to be exact, you seem to be 16 years behind. Sorry couldn't help myself. But its true. dylox is still effective in some cases, but many domestic strains are imune and are popping up more often. I run a fish hatchery and work for an aquarium product importer on weekends as a consultant for customers with fish problems and as such, I have seen dylox fail more and more often. Don't misunderstand me I still use dylox first but always have alternatives ready. Much has been writen on this around the world, I'm supprised you haven't heard. One such quote by discus authority Thomas A. Giovanetti. In his book DISCUS FISH 1991. Quote page 69 on prazi. In his words "flukes on wild caght discus will be immediately killed by dylox, but tank raised discus may carry flukes that have developed a resistance to dylox. Recent tests demonstrate that some flukes have developed a resistance to an amount of dylox above the leathal dose for the fish." Yes thats right you have to kill the fish for a cure. Not the way I want to go.

San Merah Discus
    Well IME I have one thing to say to that, what a load of bollucks!

I have a question, what are "vet grade medications"? Next one, where are you from, if it's not Australia do you have different strains of flukes where you are? Looks like you recommend Prazi for flukes, for most serious hobbyists, semi and professional breeders that med went out with the arc for flukes, they are very much getting resistant to it. Maybe you have a far stronger version with your vet grade. Please let us know so we can all use it.
    MAC

Larvae
    I bought a new bottle of sterazin at the weekend.... as I had run out of my current bottle half way through a treatment...

Read the instructions..... the dosage instructions are totally different !!!!

The new bottle wants me to dose them with half the amount instructed on the last bottle...

I have had great success with all waterlife products previously , Myaxazin was particularly good, but I need something I can rely on .... are we wasting our time with this particular product from waterlife ???

they have done that here too they have changed the dose becouse of strangth know they have doubled the strange it think that is on the bottle to, i always us this product and have never had a prob with it . the only thing was here is Austraila the took octozin of the market but it is back now so all is good .