Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    San Merah Discus
    With regards to Prazi can we put our heads together and see who can come up with the best and least expensive form/supplier possible. Up here on the Coast I have been able to source around 70 175mg tablets for about $200, she gave me a rough quote. Individual tablets were $13 each, I nearly died of shock. All the contacts I have made have pointed me in the direction of local vets but unfortunately they are very expensive as they don't deal in large numbers. The wholesalers won't deal with the public and the amount I use to treat both my systems definitely counts pet shops out.

Any and all replies very much appreciated.
    MAC

Mac, after a bit of research, prazi seems to be commonly used with horses. It comes in a lot of forms such as pastes and gels but it is available in a tablet form that is given to horses. Maybe you could try either an equariun centre or a vet that specializes in horses.
    I hope this might help a little,

goodluck and keep us posted!
    Ben

Larvae
    Prazi can also be taken for human medication to treat tap worms. Maybe the local pharmacy might be of use.

Prazi (fluke and tap worm tabs by aquamaster) can be bought at 25tabs for $7.95 at monacos in canley vale (is product/vendor endorsement allowed?)

Im curious as no one has mentioned trichlorifon to treat for flukes.
    I was going to treat with it myself on my tank, but heat treatment and salt seems to be working atm. (34 degrees for a week).

Tricholorifon is a lot cheaper than Prazi btw.

San Merah Discus
    Hi Kkiu,

We did mention trichlorifon, it is the active ingredient in Dylox! I have said before that every one to their own but here is just one snippit of information I have read on this drug:

"Dylox (Trichlorofon)is an organophosphate, available as an over-the-counter preparation under such names as LifeBearer, Di!ox, Clout, Masoten and Anti-parasite. This drug is effective against protozoa, gill and body flukes, and to a lesser extent, Capillaria, but is highly stressful and potentially toxic to fish. Dylox treatment will make the fish nervous and will increase their respiration. Dylox. a neurotoxin, is very injurious to humans, and it is easily absorbed through the skin and mucous membranes. So you must be very careful not to inhale it or handle it without protective rubber gloves. Dylox is very effective, but some strains of body fluke have developed a resistance to it, so its usefulness may vary."

I think it is carconogenic, can be absorbed through the skin and very toxic to some fish. A last resort in my mind but they're only my thoughts.
    MAC

Wrigglers
    I too have discoverred Aquamaster Fluke & Tapeworm (ie Prazi.).

Q: Is it really necessary to clean my canister filters after Prazi treatment? I did last night but could not see any residue or other visible reasons for cleaning them.
    Q: I find my discus have done some huge black castings, which seem attached to the vent by a long transparent thread - takes a while for this to break. Is this significant? They have also become a bit picky with food.

San Merah Discus
    Bill,

After thinking about your earlier post it poses a question. If they (Waterlife) are confident that the appropriate dose of Sterazin twice a day for 12 days will erradicate flukes why do they advertise/direct us to use one quarter of that amount on the bottle ie one dose on days 1,3,6,8 and 10 to do the same job? I appreciate there are different levels of flukes in all fish but if we buy a product to fix a particular problem I think we can quite rightly assume that it will do the job at the advertised and prescribed rate/dosage.

I am most certainly not asking questions of you but come on Waterlife, what's the go here? There are many fish keepers/breeders that don't want or need the consumer warm and fuzzy stuff, the amount of fish they keep they need results and need them now! Do we really have to go through 2 full courses of treatment and still have the problem and stand there scratching our heads? If that's the case then it's a very sad one! If it takes a mindful and inquisative forum member to tell us how to get results from a commercial medication then I am worried to say the least!
    MAC

Wrigglers
    Same!

Drug resistant strains is a problem we are hearing more and more of today. Somewhere along the line, our fish have been treated with a weaker dose of meds than required, The result is that although some of the bugs are killed, some are not, and develop an increased resistance to meds. They reproduce, and their offspring are also resistant.

A normal dose is no longer enough. These resistant bugs are simply not affected by normal doses, so higher and higher doses are needed. Eventually that drug is no longer effective, and we have to resort to another, more toxic drug to eradicate the gill and body flukes.

I don't know what the answer is. All we can do, as responsible hobbyists, is to make sure that when we use drugs, we use the full recommended dose, and if a second dose is recommended, we give the required repeat treatment.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Wrigglers
    I'm not religious, but Amen!

The human world is now plagued by super bugs and strains of old bugs that have developed a resistance to current medications. Recent strains of Malaria, for instance, are virtually untreatable today. You either beat the disease or die on your own resources!!!!

This has come about by innapropraite and careless use of antibiotics.
    People take only part of the dose until they feel better, most of the bacteria are killed off, but not all. The remaining bugs are genetically stronger and resistant to medication, so they pass this on to their offspring - a new generation of genetically evolved bugs emerge.

Nature at work.

I am concerned also that with hybrid fish like today's discus which have been bred and interbred, their immune systems may be genetically decaying, so we have double trouble. Less immune fish and more virulent bugs.

So if you have a fish that has survived when others have died, this would be a good one to breed from. I personally would pay more for stronger fish - some sort of certification would be required for authentication pre-purchase?

Any breeders out there with extra sturdy stock? Please let me know.

Just an Egg

pp-fied

Has anyone used pp for this before? I hav spent $$ on meds and nothing seem to work. There was one time I had this problem and the tank was like a time bomb. ever so often the buggers will start trashing around and some even jumped out. tried everything but with little success then as a last resort I used pp and pp-fied the whole tank. It worked. This stuff has to be taken really seriously though. I have lost fish to this before when I dosed 2 adults in a long term bath but the mix was sitting there for a while and I guess it just got really concentrated. Short term bath and into a sterile tank is the way to go. at least this way, u can pull them out when u see a problem. I'm not saying that this is the best way to do it but it has worked for me. just thought i share.