Just an Egg

Live Brine shrimp in Brisbane

Anyone know where I can get my hands on live brine shrimp, preferably on the North side but I will drive if I have to? Or anyone had any luck with growing there own in those kits you can get for around $100?
    TIA

Just an Egg
    Shame you didn't say anything the other night I have spare cysts. They're easy to hatch and after trying many times I finally have a batch that reliably gives high hatch rates. You dont need fancy gadgets, just a soft drink bottle and some airline tube and air pump. If you can't find any anywhere else let me know.

Wrigglers
    Hi Woodsie,

Best results I had for hatching out brine shrimp was in sea water in a large softdrink bottle with airstone. I used to "steal" 20 ltrs a week from the ocean in WA but I don't think anyone noticed, sea level didn't drop much. Too far away to be economical at the moment.

Regards,

Bob

Just an Egg
    Sean, what brand do you use and where do you buy them from? I've never grown my own as I only feed them every now and then. Two of my newies are eating like pigs off my mums home made food but one is being a bit of a diva and playing hard to get so I thought I would get some just to get him started.
    Lol Bob, steal is a harsh word, perhaps I will borrow some ocean instead

Just an Egg
    I found them online but can't remember if on a forum or flea bay. Pretty sure they were splitting a can of the reputable brine shrimp eggs. I'be never grown them out only hatched them and fed straighg away.

Just an Egg
    The 'diva' gave in and joined in eating tonight. I am still keen to either grow and feed my own brine shrimp or find somewhere reasonably near by to North Lakes that sells live brine shrimp. I think I am just going to start randomly calling aquariums tomorrow.
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Just an Egg
    Just don't bother with the small packaged ones at pet stores in a triangular shaped container. They dont hatch in my experience.

Just an Egg
    Just don't bother with the small packaged ones at pet stores in a triangular shaped container. They dont hatch in my experience.

Just an Egg
    So I had absolutely no luck finding anywhere that sells live Brine Shrimp over this side of town, but did get the guys some live black worms which they absolutely loved. They look sad now every time I feed them and its not live black worms lol
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Just an Egg
    Hi guys.Growing out brine shrimp is about as hard as watching grass grow.
    use as large a container as possible,I use 500lt to 1000lt tubs.place where they get direct sun light otherwise they will be harder to maintain.sun light has a direct influence on them and its free.
    fill the tub with ocean water than filter to remove organisms that may eat your baby brine shrimp.
    Add a airstone.(best,but you can do it without one)If it rains without an airstone the fresh water sits on the top long enough to kill the brine shrimp as they seem to form a pact to all kill themselves in the fresh water before it naturally mixes in,with a airstone circulating the water, rainwater seems to give them renewed vigor.
    hatch brine shrimp with the water from the tub,add the baby shrimp without the empty egg shells as they can start bacterial problems with there decay.
    After 3 days they will start to die if not fed.
    feed with organic spirulina powder by mixing about one quarter of a teaspoon with about one Lt of tap water than add to tub.when the water is clear add some more. depending on temperature as it will influence there growth rate, you can start feeding them to your fish in about 3 weeks.
    Don't buy those small packets of eggs,they never hatch or rarely.Tins are a better choice as they are vacuum sealed once they are opened they must be refrigerated or if exposed to too high summer temperatures the hatch rate will keep dropping to zero.In the fridge they will last for years.
    you can buy the eggs from Primo Aquaculture.
    good luck.