Medium Discus

Algae eaters for discus tanks

Hi Guys,
    Im after some fish that will be fine with discus and help get my hair algae under control. I have reports that otto catfish will suck on the slim of the discus and they would not put them together. The tank is 6x2x2 and I'm wondering what everyone else does for algae eaters.

Wrigglers
    Hi,

Bristlenose catfish or similar do a GREAT job. Some say they make a lot of mess but I don't have any trouble with them and have not had any sucking on the sides of my Discus. Hope it helps,

Cheers

Wrigglers
    Have a look at using Siamese Algae Eaters, similar to Flying Foxes, make sure you get the right type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siamese_algae_eater

Ottos are fine. They won't go near your Discus as ling as they have a natural food source. I a large tank there will always be sufficient algae to keep them happy.

I have SAEs and Peppermint BN in my tank and all BN's are "meant" to go after the Discus and neither species have ever gone near them.. So it pays not to believe everything you read :P

The other great eaters of thread algae are common glass shrimp and Darwin Algae Eater shrimp (DAEs). The first you can get in your local freshwater creeks for nothing, the second is available from Aquagreen for $2ea plus shipping.

Larvae
    agree with swapy, ottos are very good

Medium Discus
    ok no worries, which fish does a better job on the algea ottos or SAE'S also would jump out of my tank if i have no lids? Your tank has no lids has it Brad?

Would i be better off to get a mix of otto's and SAE's or just get 8 otto for my 6x2x2

Also do your bristlenose stuff your plants up or mess up the aqua soil at all. I have got 40 baby bristlenose in another 4ft tank that i have bred and should be putting 2 to 3 of them in there. There only 2cm in size at the moment.