Thread: Beginner!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Beginner!

I have kept tropical freshwater successfully for many years and am now toying with the idea of setting up a Discus aquarium.
    I have a spare 150Lt Aquarium, would this be sufficiant to house about 7 fish, until I get a good grasp of the species? Thank you.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I have kept tropical freshwater successfully for many years and am now toying with the idea of setting up a Discus aquarium.
    I have a spare 150Lt Aquarium, would this be sufficiant to house about 7 fish, until I get a good grasp of the species? Thank you.

no mate and adult discus needs a minimum of 50L, I'd invest in a 4x2x1.5 (340L) as a discus starter tank.

your 150 would suit 4-5 juviniles till they hit 3-4 inches in body length (bout 6 months)

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thank you for the advise. One other question concerning Discus? I have a 3 tier external canister filter system (All ponds Solutions 1000ef plus).

I have read many times that live carbon should not be used with Discus.

What would be the best 3 Media to use? I'm guessing bio balls and ceramic cyliners are okay and obviously a fibre filter?

Just use the noodles x 2 and the fibre.
    You don't need carbon because of the regular and large water changes.
    And don't raise them in a tiny aquarium they'll just end up terribly stunted.
    3 x 2 x 2 is the min size in my opinion.

hey Gibbo
    just let u know.no matter how long you kept tropical freshwater aquarium. discus having a discus its a brand new story..

i had kept other tropical freshwater aquarium for 7 years.. using to handle the fish of (African cichlid, gold fish, guppy, gurami, tetra, fighter, rainbow fish, south America cichlid, dwarf cichild, seratoga etc)

by having the discus i still need to learn from the very beginning..

to keep the heathy good condition discus.
    1. clever,and clean tank.(no display, no wood, no rock.)none.
    2. top filter and two sponge filter with air pump (no External filter)
    3. at lease feed three times a day.
    4. do water change daily.