Just an Egg

Media for canister filter

Hi, I have a canister filter (outside large one on the floor) and have about three baskets with filter pads, bio balls/noodles, bags of activated charcol and clay.

I have heard others in the forum saying you don't need the carbon and clay but just fill it with more noodles etc.

What is the best to do with media in the canister to maintain a healthy tank.

Thanks.

Wrigglers
    Personally Would replace the bio balls and opt for some type of porous or sintered media

Bio balls just simply wont be as effective when submerged or used in an anerobic environment, they are preferably used in a Wet/Dry system..
    *Disclaimer:
    If you hav'ent relised by now i can't spell for $H!T

Just an Egg
    Thanks LEG-IT, I have also been told that before. I was more inquiring about the charcoal and clay - and if just noodles etc and filter pads are enough. I was sold the clay and charcoal with the canister and was told that they are needed?.

Just an Egg
    hi there are a lot of activated carbons and resins on the market today and all do a good job at removing what needs to be removed(nitrates and so on) but really in my experience with my discus the adding of something extra to the filter is just a added expense.keep it simple and focus on keeping the aquarium clean with water changes and these added carbons and resins are not needed.

Just an Egg
    discusriver I like that idea, "keep it simple and focus on keeping the aquarium clean with water changes " as a matter of fact I read an article in this forum from one of the more experienced discus owners who almost said that same thing....keep it simple with clean stable water.

That might be the go. Thanks.

you dont need carbon or any resins at all all you need is a good bio media, the more the better. anything will do I've had good luck with expanded clay balls from hydroponic shops, bout $40 for 50L enough to last you YEARS!

Just an Egg
    IILUSN - thanks for the advice. Expanded clay balls? are they like the ceramic noodles i.e. used for growing bacteria to break down nitrate?. or do they also act like the clay.

Just an Egg
    hi maxpayne40 the break down of nitrate won't happen in a canister filter.you need a wet/dry trickle filter with some type of media(seachem matrix,hydroton clay balls .these medias used in a sump filter will keep nitrates at manageable levels because they utilise both types of filter bacteria anaerobic and aerobic .anaerobic bacteria lives in the millions of tiny holes in the media in the absence of oxygen.they transform nitrate into nitrogen gas.these medias work best if water is trickled through them but not submerged under water.that is why they don't work in canister filters.

hi mate the brand i use is HYDROTON (google it) its clay thats fired in a rotary kilm and expands into little round pellts, its cheep as and works VERY well in a canister or sump