Hi, I'm New Here!

Nocturnal discus or just shy?

I have 2 discus tanks (+cardinals & plecos) 55 & 75 gallons. Six fish in the in the large tank 4 - 6 inches. Seven fish 2.5 - 3 inches in the other tank.

Everyone is healthy, 35% water changes every other day, water chem. is great.

Question: I have 2 of the smaller discus who are extremely shy(?). One is a red & white the other is a altum flora. They don't even come out to eat with the others. They are growing so they are eating sometime. One night 2am I was up and noticed they were out and frolicking openly (the light was turned off and dark in the room). Since, I've checked several nights and they almost always are out and about. Is it possible they are nocturnal? I've never heard of that in 12 years of owning discus but....figured i 'd ask
    55 & 75 gallon primary planted discus tanks

Welcome to the forum barkmanusd. Discus do sleep at night, but there must have been just enough light for them to see. It sounds like they are the smallest of the group and don't like to mix it up with the bigger guys.

Give them some time. They'll come around when they begin to feel more confident.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks for the reply

Actually, the 2 fish in question are the larger of the tank. I suppose there is some light in the room but very little at night. I'm not overly concerned since they appear healthy and all the others are well. It just seemed odd behavior. I've never seen this before.
    I've had discus for over 12+ years so I know they can be weird! Thanks
    55 & 75 gallon primary planted discus tanks