Hi, I'm New Here!

Fish Suppliers??

Although there's some good recomendations on Discus suppliers what about other species? Any good experiences having cardinals, cories etc delivered? I really don't rate my LFS.

Wrigglers
    Hi Ishu,

I too am not overly impressed with the variety of fish that my LFS has but he is more than willing to add what I want to his order when ordering in. I only ask that he does not release my fish into his tanks. He just floats them to maintain temp, then I pic them up and go through the "drip acclimation" process. Generally all is good and I get what I want and don't have to worry about selecting from a poor range of sometimes health compromised fish.

Your other option is "Live Fish", they offer a home delivery service to some areas which is quite good. They are competitive (often better than LFS) but with a $17 approx delivery feed. Orders above $150 are delivered free of charge.

I have had good results with rummy nose, black phantoms and cardinals for my discus tank. They do a deal on 50 cardinals for $165 at the moment so if you are after some of those that is a good price. If you know someone else who wants a share of 50 cardinals it is a very good deal.

They also have some smaller/dwarf cichlids that work well with discus also though I find their price for Rams and some others a bit steep.

Regards,

Bob

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Cheers Bobby that is worth looking at, what kind of loading would a school of 50 cardinals be equivalent to, A pair of discus? More, less?

Wrigglers
    Hi Mate,

Not sure what sort of bio-load you would get with a school of 50 cardinals. I guess it would depend a little on the size mix, I reckon the 50 deal would get you a lot of small ones, quite a few mediums and just a few large cardinals. Other items that would have an impact on the ability of your setup to absorb the extra load would be total tank volume, filter size and flow rates.

The biggest jump in fish I have had was four adult discus into a 6x2x2 with an Eheim 2180 filter. The system coped with no adverse effects. I recently added a school of 15 Rummy nose again with no noticeable effect.

If I was looking at adding those numbers I would put them through the Q tank and add in batches of around 1/3 at weekly intervals.

Regards,

Bob