Thread: 5cm = Adult?

Larvae

5cm = Adult?

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the beginner section. I just wanted to double check some advice that I've been told by a discus breeder who I'm considering buying discus from.

Is it true that a 5cm discus is fully grown-out, in that you don't need to treat them like a juvenile (daily water changes and 6-8 feeds)?

Thanks, Ben.
    Ben

Just an Egg
    I don't think that size fish is any where near adult. I have 4 inch fish and consider them juvenile to sub-adult. When to back off on the grow-out conditions is a good question though. I guess I was going to continue with my daily wc and 4 feeds regimen until 6 inches.

Larvae
    Hey Mahwins, I thought it was too small too.

Have you got your 6 inch idea from other people or your own experience with discus? You're answering my question exactly.
    Ben

Just an Egg
    I guess from reading forums. I'm on my first batch of fry from my first breeding pair so my experience is minimial. They still look like juveniles in many ways, their ventral fins ate still short for instance. I think you get to know what adult fish look like after looking at so many images of them.

I've also read discussions on the age at which fish are sexually mature and when they should be allowed to breed. Were talking 12 - 18 months here. 5 cm is really only a month old all things being equal.

Larvae
    Fair enough.

The breeder I'm talking to (Marlon) says "I breed thousands of fish. I feed 3-4 times per day from birth. I do water changes every 2 weeks at a rate of 30% I have grown jumbo fish using this method"

5cm fish are definitely a lot cheaper!
    Ben

Just an Egg
    Marlon is reputable and knows his stuff. Follow his advice on growing out. I don't think he would have said 5cm is adult. Must be some mis-communication. Could it be that marlon meant 5inches which would be adult.
    At the end of the day 5cm is a good size to buy, just keep the food and wcs up and they'll be right. Small feeds often cause their digestive tracts are not designed for big feeds and change out the water because they excrete a growth inhibiting hormone (and it makes em happy and healthy). I'm changing 10% daily when I siphon out the food and pooh, then 50% at least twice a week. I'm a bit random with it but I've got it virtually automated so its simple and I do more.

Larvae
    Yeah Marlon wasn't saying 5cm = adult as such, but that at 5cm you don't need to do crazy daily wc/6+feeds.

Good to know
    Ben