Larvae

Cannister filters for juvenile grow-out

I'm a discus beginner and I'd love some help!

Here's my plan

I've got a 4x2x2 that I'm about to grow out some juvenile discus in. When they're adults (3+ inches = adult?) I'm going to change to introduce some other fish (sterbai cories and cardinal tetras).

When I have all the fish in there I'll run 2x Eheim 2217s.

BUT - everyone seems to grow out their juveniles in tanks with sponge filters, or filters that are very easy to clean out daily. These filters would have less biological filtration, but that would be countered by daily water changes and siphoning after feeding I guess.

Would I be better off running my growout tank with 2x 2217s or one of the easy-clean sponge or HOB filters?

Also, what time of day should the water change be done? Doing it at night after the last feed for the day makes the most sense to me because then they'll have a "clean" tank for the longest period of time.

Thanks for any input
    Ben

Hi, I'm New Here!
    hey ben, personally id use just one eheim. i reckon its enough for the discus and the other fish you listed. just make sure to do weekly or fortnightly water changes (to clean the crap off the bottom). one sponge filter in the tank won't hurt as well as it will help keep your water nice and clear!

1 eheim will be plenty you'll be siphoning out the poo and uneaten food each day, a single 2217 will easily stop any ammonia spikes between cleans.

I cleaned each night bout 20 min after the "dinner" feed.