Hi, I'm New Here!

discus male not ferterlising the eggs

I have a breeding pair of tiger snakeskin discus and they have spawned 3 times now but the male isnt fertilising the eggs and the eggs dont become anything. The conditions in my 6ft tank are fine and i have a aqua one aquis 2700 lh filter system. I do regular water changes each week usually 30% and they are housed with 4 L002 5 guppies and 20 tetras so why isnt he fertilising the eggs he is interested in them but yet to make them fertile whyis this so i do know it will take a while but i need some advise?

Medium Discus Discus Planetarium's Avatar
    for a start if you want to breed you will need a small tank 2ft tank will be fine just a sponge filter and a heater how old is your female

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Well it depends what you like to breed the fish in i did have them in a smaller tank but the male was to pushy and the female didnt lay the eggs but as soon as i moved them into the 6ft it was succesful. And i wasnt asking about setups i just want to know why isnt he doing his job haha. Not sure how old the female is

Medium Discus Discus Planetarium's Avatar
    2700L filter per hrs i think that is your problem to breed you want a small tank and when she is laying her eggs NO WATER FLO just helping you out bud dont think you will breed discus in a 6ft tank not saying it carnt be done but it wont help...

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Why is she laying eggs though if they didnt like the conditions she wouldnt lay the eggs nore would the male do his dance to get her to lay the eggs. And in the wild they lay there eggs when its raining so massive amounts of water flow through the river so some how i dont think its my filter and they lay them at the other end of the tank so there isnt much flow at all. There is also heaps of rocks in the tank to break the current flow

Wrigglers
    Hi Coen,

Generally lower flow rates will help you achieve a successful spawn.

Having said that I have had successful spawns in a standard 4' aquarium (200 ltr), a 4x2x2 (400 ltr with two canister filters), and a 6' tank with a high flow rate. Spawning and fertilisation have all been successful but in the larger tanks with the canister filters I have not had any fry survive beyond wriggler stage as the current is too strong.

If you are achieving good spawning rates you may just need a new male.

Good luck,

Bob

Just an Egg
    i agree lower flow rates help as the discus egg is only able to be fertilised for a short time before it hardens, currents are a no no as most serious breeders use sponge filters in breeding tanks for that reason.also wild discus don't spawn in the fast flowing parts of the river they migrate inland to the flooded forrest and spawn were there is less water movement.
    discus.is there any other fish.