Just an Egg

Cleaning bio noodles

Firstly, should I ever clean the bio noodles (ceramic/plastic bio balls) in my filter and if so how?.

Secondly, I use a carbon/wool cartidge in my overhead filter. I have read two different opinions as to where they should go in the filter. One says to place it on top of the noodles and then the black sponge pad on top of that. The other article says to place the black sponge on top of the noodles and then the carbon/wool catridge on top (water flows directly on top of this).
    Which is best for filtration?.

Thanks.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi there,
    Im only a newbie to discus but had plenty of fish over time and cleaning your noodles is a no-no. This is the home of all your good bacteria that help manage your water quality.
    As for the carbon wool, I doubt it matters if its on top or bottom of your noodles but I would place it after water has passed through your normal filter wool or pad so it does not clog with suspended particles in your water.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers Paul

I clean my filter the trick is to use TANK water not tap water. Remember bacteria live in the porus media as well as on it do even if you rinse it in tank water and get all the muck off the bulk of your bacteria will be fine within the media. Dirty filters breed disease and cause all kinds of issues with nitrification and acidity with your water

Just an Egg
    Thanks ILLUSN, so I take it to clean all the 'muck' off the noodles etc is fine with tank water and the bacteria will still be good?. I noticed that my noodles and bio balls are covered in slime and I always thought I should leave it like that as they were 'good' bacteria.

All that said should I replace the noodles at any time, I do realise if I do this it would have to be a gradual process, eg 1/4 at a time until bacteria regrown on the new ones.

Always good to get the correct information as some people say never to clean your media (noodles/bio balls etc).

Thanks again

if replaceing your media do so 1/3 at a time, most of the bio media available is more then good enough for discus keeping, ive used everything from siporax and micromech to hydroton clayballs and ceramic rings they all work well enough, stay away from bioballs I just dont find them user friendly for anything except sumps.

all the muck eventually breaks down into acids, nitirc acid under aerobic conditions, sulfuric under anerobic conditions.

I try and clean my filters once every couple of months all i use is a couple of buckets of tank water, one for thw "wash" of the media (ie dump in swirl with hand scoop out) and a second for the "rinse" (just to get the "dirty water" off the media a quick dunk nothing more). I've NEVER had a filter recycle from such a clean.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Illusn,

I have never cleaned my noodles and they never seem to get that dirty. I clean my filter about every 6 weeks but i only wash the sponges and remove any detritus. Should I be cleaning my noodles as you suggest.

I'll try and put a photo up of mine, its like mud every few weeks, truth be told i dont use any mech media in my filters, just biomedia

Hi, I'm New Here!
    A pic would be great thanks. I might do the same next clean up and compare. I only have 6 juvenile discus and 4 SAE's in a 4ft by 2ft by 2.5 high, so it does not have a big load on the filter.

LOL i've got 7 altums 11 redbacks, 8 L333's and a breeding trio of longnose whips with heavy feeds every 12hrs in a 4x2x16 tall.

2 aquaclears filter the water but they do get 50% -70% water changes everyday