Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Larvae
    My gold vine came in the mail today. I'll have to chop off the top of the vertical piece to fit it under the glass covers.

Filters should arrive in the next couple of days!

I used some spare tiles under the left side to level out the stand. I need something thinner, ~5mm, to go under the middle.
    Ben

Larvae
    Ok, I've got my filters.
    One came with a snapped shaft but the guy I got them from is sending me an entire head to replace it!
    Half of the wood is still floating but it'll only be a few days away from sinking.

I now need to get some fish!
    I'm definitely getting 5-8 of one strain of discus, I don't like the mix and match look.

I like the red-spotted greens, and red leopards. Also most turquoises I like. I'm trying to find out if any of these strains have pigeon blood backgrounds, because my black background will probably bring out their peppering.

But it's time to find, order and wait by the mailbox! Or go for a drive.
    Ben

Just an Egg
    I love going and just looking at discus in the shops. Trying to sweet talk hubby into another tank just because the discus addiction has hit so hard lol.Have you had a look to see who is close to your area? Love the RSG and the red leopards.
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Larvae
    Apart from keeping an eye on the member classifieds, I'm expecting I'll end up buying for Marlon.

Newcastle doesn't have any LFS that sell quality discus (as far as I'm aware). They're always overpriced and just in tanks of "assorted discus".
    Ben

Larvae
    I've ordered my discus! 8 red turks at 6-7cm are coming in a week and I'm heaps excited.

Currently the tank is inhabited by 23 Cardinal Tetras, 4 Otocinclus, a handful of Cherry Shrimp and some driftwood & Java fern.

Here is one of the Cherry Shrimp hanging around on my goldvine which has a few spots of stuff like this on it. I'm not sure if it's algae or something from inside the goldvine.

Here are some of the Otos chilling out under the driftwood.

And here is a FTS. Barebottom, 2xT5HO.

The driftwood is arranged like that to hold down a floating piece, I'll rearrange it if it ever sinks...
    Ben

Larvae
    Yay!

What could it be?

...?

Fish in a box

Fish in a bag

Fish in a bucket

Almost full up from a water change

Fish in the tank!

This last photo is with no aquarium light and no flash, trying to make them feel a bit safe.
    Some of them were keen to eat 10 minutes after making it into the tank.

Pretty excited!
    Ben

Free Swimmer
    Looks good,how ever the cherries will make a great snack.

Larvae
    That's ok, I have a million of them in my other tank...
    Ben

Wrigglers
    Hi Broadfoot,

I've recently started breeding Cherries and Taiwanese Shrimp. I'd love to put them in with my planted Discus tank too. Is it 100% that they will be munched? Or do the larger ones survive better? Or are they just harassed?

Cheers,

Larvae
    My personal experience of having discus spans a massive two days, so I can't give you much unique info there. My discus are 6-7cm and I haven't seen them eat any yet.

My understanding is that discus will eat pretty much anything they can catch and fit in their mouth, but shrimp colonies can be pretty hard to wipe out so maybe they'll breed fast enough to stay alive.
    Ben