Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Larvae

Hey everyone, another novacastrian!

Hello!

I'm from Newcastle, NSW and my name's Ben (Broadfoot is my last name).

I've been perusing discusforums for a while now, but I'm about to join you all in actually keeping these fish so it's time to join up properly I still have a few decisions to make, but I do now have a tank!

Sorry, they're all camera-phone pics.

4'x2'x2' - the stand is raw pine, and I got it with one coat of undercoat on it already.

I bought it on Tuesday for a pretty sweet deal ($300 for the tank, stand, hood, 3ft sump, return pump and a protein skimmer!). I just had to remove the blue background (personal taste) and a bit of silicone inside the tank that the previous owned used to set up something for his frogs. It used to look like this.

The guy who sold me the tank even phoned me that night to make sure I'd got it home safely Champion.

So now I've collected the bits and pieces I think I need to finish off the stand, then I'll put on a black vinyl background, find 2 cheap eheim 2217s, fill it up and get some fish in there! Barebottom juvies or planted adults... Decisions decisions.

These are my bits and pieces to finish off the stand and hood. Also you can see a black corner piece that fell off the aquarium after I got it home, and I've noticed that another one of these is missing. Are they structurally important or just to hide imperfect silicone jobs?

Anyway, here's my current tank, housing a few discus-friendly fish (sterbai corydoras, cardinal tetra, otocinclus and a dwarf gourami - I'm not sure if this fella is discus friendly, he may just stay in this tank or be given to a friend).

Thanks for reading, I'm looking forward to spending more time on the forums and learning heaps. Reading, reading, reading...

Wrigglers
    Hi,

Welcome, sounds like you got an awesome buy. Those plants look great too.
    I doubt the side pieces are of any real structural help. As you said more so cosmetic. Gives it a clean look though,

Cheers

Larvae
    Thanks Hooked.

That's good news about the corner, it means I can reattach it without needing it to be perfect, just look neat.
    Ben

Wrigglers
    Hi,

Just to clarify, if they came off so easily then I doubt the original person put them there with strengthening in mind. Sure, if they were really well siliconed on they would help beef up the tank corners but then they would have been really hard to remove. All the best with the set up,

Cheers

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello

Hi Ben,

Looks like you joined about the same time I did so welcome. That tank was a good buy and cleaned up a treat, well done. How long until you can put some fish in
    Cheers

Hey Ben,

Welcome to the forum, you'll find it really useful.

On another note, would your dads name be Matt? Just curious.

Cheers

Rob

Larvae
    Hey Big Kahuna,

I've gotta get my hands on some filters and finish up the stand. Hopefully not too long!

And Rob, my Dad's name isn't Matt. It's actually Rob...
    Ben

Larvae
    Apparently I'm pretty slow at getting tank stuff done!

However it's all painted now and handles are on the stand.

I'm ordering my two 2217s tonight and should have them within a week or so.

Have any of you got any good tips for leveling my tank? It's level from front to back, but it's about 10mm off from left to right. Any advice?
    Ben

Free Swimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by broadfoot
    Have any of you got any good tips for leveling my tank? It's level from front to back, but it's about 10mm off from left to right. Any advice?
    Will you be using a hood or collar? If so just leave it be and the hood/ collar will hide it. If not then your choices are to live with the water not an even distance from the top or use cabinet packers between the floor and the bottom of the stand on the low side. The packers are possibly less noticeable.

Cheers,
    Scott

Larvae
    I have a collar that will hide it.

What are cabinet packers?
    Ben