Just an Egg

New Discus...scared as hell!

Hey guys,

So I finally took the plunge after months and months of re search and reading.

I bought some beautiful discus from the legends at SLS theyre amazing looking fish!! Will post some pics once they are not so scared.
    If I dont get any responses on here I will just email them. I just feel like a parent with a new born ringing the doctor everytime something happens lol.

I introduced my discus yesterday afternoon. They were pretty shy last night but were swimming around the front. Then the bladders kicked in and they were swimming on there sides. Now they are hanging at the back hiding which I know is normal too. But occasionally they scare each other and they all bolt around the tank smashing in the sides of the glass and I am scared they are going to hurt themselves?

How long before discus adapt to a new home and become a bit more active and less shy? I have kept the lights off all yesterday for them and I have the lights on today. they kept freaking out so I have put a blanket at the front of the tank so they can get used to the enviroment.

Sorry for the long story,am I over reacting?

Cheers Rory

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Give them time, they are very new to their enviornment.
    Keep the lights off.
    Mine were without lights for four days and then one light at a time over a couple of days.

They still do a mad dash every now and then, sometimes they are out swimming and other times behind logs.
    Patience is a big part of Discus keeping, but worth it.

Just an Egg
    hey mate this happens best thing is to do is yes turn the lights on the tank off. Have the room light on the discus will feel safer, when they can see you
    and this may seem silly but trust me it works wear the same shirt around them for the first week like the same colour work shirts are great for that hope it helps

Just an Egg
    Thanks so much for the replies guys!

I love these little guys so I will try the same colour t-shirt idea haha.

Ok I will turn the lights off when I get home and keep the room lights on.

The tank is fully carpet hair grass. Will it be ok with a few more days no light?

Cheers again

Rory

Free Swimmer
    I found feeding them by hand quickly changed their attitude. They race to the front of the tank whenever I am near.

Cheers,
    Scott

Just an Egg
    Ill give it a try Ghoti,Thanks for that mate.