Hi, I'm New Here!

T5’s vs High Output CFL’s

Gday, I’m currently researching a future 5 foot, 100G Discus tank. Although its not going to be a planted tank, I would still like to grow some healthy swords and other moderate light plants thus was intending to run pressurised CO2.

Looking at the various lighting options available, I had all but locked in some T5 kits by AH Supplies (http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm) and figured 4x55W with individual reflectors would tick the boxes of my lighting requirements above. In fact a couple of days ago, I was about to post, asking for opinions of these kits when I saw a great lighting article posted by aquafrogstuff (http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._Lighting.html) which gave high output CFL’s a big rap.

I’ve since been talking to a few hydroponic stores and was looking at a pair of 85W 6400K CFL's with individual reflectors as an alternative. Each sold as a kit for around $70 each. I’m looking for other peoples experiences and recommendations of CFL’s, ie is that enough wattage, longevity of the bulbs, different reflectors etc. Also appreciate comments on the T5 option above as I haven’t decided which way to go yet.

Thanks

Cfl's are not bad but they have some concerns.

They are basically a t5 folded in 1/2 sO you get restrike along the shared edge.

They loose output quite noticbly after 12 months

Other the that they are great my 5 footer used 2x95w and 2x 55w with a flat mylar reflector. To say it was bright was an understatement.

If you were in Sydney I would have sold it to you cheep

Hi, I'm New Here!
    The compacts I was referring to are the self ballasted type which fit a standard incandescent fixture (I'd attach a pic if I knew how to)

Cooling off T5 compacts, availability of bulbs seems far less than 54W linears plus ILLUSN's comments above. But these other compacts appear really good value for money??