Hi, I'm New Here!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

G,day,
    Having a really hard time with my largest discuc,,, A couple of days ago I was checking the tank out and noticed my big fella was very flighty.
    On closer inspection I saw some a small hole between his eye,s ,very small like the size of a two pin heads, kept an eye on him and the next day there was pitting along the lateral line with a very fine kind of fungus,,, suspected hole in head disease ,,so,,talked to a vet here in Adelaide and was given a script for metro which I put in the water and mixed with food. to treat the whole tank,,he,s in with 7 other discus and 10 cardinals,,ohh and 1 knife fish,,the fish didnt seem to get any worse maybe even a bit better the hole in between his eyes started to heal a bit ,,,at least wasnt getting any worse,,so I pulled him out and into the hospital tank,,before I removed him from the main tank he was thrsing around ,I mean really smashing around.
    So he,s in the hospital tank now but still thrashing around now and then like crazy,I dont no how he hasnt knocked himself out ,, this isnt constant just all of a sudden he goes off.
    I ran the vet again and told him it seemed to be healing the small holes in his head and along his side ,,but the thrasing was really bad,,he suggested I treat with Prazi this could be causing the thrasing ,,ie flukes or worms ,,well to date he,s still the same ,,every now and then goes off and I,m worried that he will kiil himself before the original problem does,,any help welcomed,,cheers

Main tank all water parameters good,,PH 6.5 Ammo 0.0 Nitrite 0.0 Nitrate 5.0 Temp from 28.5 to 30 now...

somethimes they go a little like this and theres nothing you can do.

clean water will help with the hole in the head try keeping the lights off while the fish calms down for a few days

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks for the reply Illusn,, Just wondered what your thoughts were about which med to use ,,start the Metro again , or the Prazi,,at the moment I stopped all and just have salt in the hospital tank till I work out what to do,,cheers

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Ok,,so have dosed the 32 litre tank with 4 x teaspoons of aquarium salt, I have put an airstone in and the temp is 30 degree c ,,,,, the fish hasnt gone dark yet but has stopped eating ,,,so now I have noticed a kind of oval mark on the side of the fish,,,maybe a heater burn ??? any help would be greatly appriciated,,cheers

Is there a discharge of mucus from all over the body kind like slimy spider web? Have you had a read of the discus plague sticky? Do the symptoms sound the same?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Nope ,,I no what you mean, but the body is fine except for the kinda oval mark that might be a heater burn, at first I thought lice by the shape but it doesnt move and looking more closely seems flat with the body and slowly healing,I think ,,what worries me is the sparatic thrashing and the fact that the fish isnt eating now.
    Having said all that ,,he still has colour has maybe darkend slightly but not that much,, can I have your opinion on whether to go back to the Metro or as the vet said or Prazi incase of flukes or worms driving it mad,,cheers ????
    At the moment I just have salt in the water,,???

how long did you treat with metro and at what dose?

a good practice is 25mg/L every 48hrs with a 30-50% water change in between. keep temp at 30C you can offer food but usually they are not interested.

if the fish rubbing against stuff? if it is it MIGHT be luke, in such a case treat with prazi or PP, if not then it usually isnt flukes

has the fish been passing white poo or has the fish been wasteing away despite eating? if so it might be worms, treat with levimenisole and prazi as per other threads here.

if the fish just went dark and stopped eating I'd treat with metro.

If the fish has "crazy swim disease" where it just starts darting and thrashing around the tank for no reason I'd just euthanise it, it wont ever get better, from my experience its a neurological problem.