Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tony tan discus

Larvae

tony tan discus

Hi folks,
    Yesterday I was just looking at what was offered for sale on aquabid and saw the most beautifully yellow discus ever, they were called yellow tangs, after the yellow tangs in the marine hobby, they're not available for viewing anymore, all sold out no doubt, just wished they were available here, these fish were a bright, vivid yellow never seen anything like them.

Just an Egg
    You know you can breed your own buy crossing a white discus with a golden.
    the really bright yellow colour is produced by colour feeding,rarely by selective breeding.
    I bought some of Tony Tans yellow discus which without colour feeding turned more brown then yellow,they ended up quite an ugly fish.

Larvae
    Thanks phil, that's disappointing, I really thought that breeders would be more honest and at least mention in their ads that the fish is being treated with colour inhancement foods, at least the buyer wouldn't be fooled into believing that the colour is genuine.

Where they really Tony Tan discus or was the seller just saying that to sell them for alot more then they would normally worth.

Just an Egg
    That was directly from the quarantine tanks on the sunshine coast,Deep water aquatics who imported tony tan discus for a north Queensland suppler who by his own advertisement only sells Tony Tan discus.

Medium Discus Discus Planetarium's Avatar
    if they came from exotic discus in cairns there not tony tan discus

Just an Egg
    I know the original owner of exotic Discus and he imports himself I assume the new owner dose to,look guys,i'm not trying to bash tony tan discus for all i know he has excellent Discus,I don't want to say who the guy was I bought them off or It may affect his business that it not my intention as I believe he has many very beautiful healthy Discus.I suppose I should Have said nothing but i was more than a little upset when my bright yellow discus went brown.I only wanted to warn others who pay the retail price which is a lot and have the same thing happen to them.I'm just trying to help people here,that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by giorid
    Thanks phil, that's disappointing, I really thought that breeders would be more honest and at least mention in their ads that the fish is being treated with colour inhancement foods, at least the buyer wouldn't be fooled into believing that the colour is genuine.
    Had the same thing happen to me with 4 beautiful yellow fish I bought several years ago. Their clean yellow colour faded within 6 months. I tried colour feeding them with Tetra Color Bits to bring the yellow back, and they turned orange.

They were obviously being fed something to enhance the yellow colour, but I could never determine what it was.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi All,

what phil is saying is not true, a yellow discus will never turn to brown, they are yellow base discus, they can only turn to orange if they are feed with red food.

by the way, we never send any discus to Exotic discus ever. and yellow tang is our new yellow fish which we sent a lot to USA lately.

Phil, if you said the yellow fish you have is from Tony Tan, pls show proof, or we will consider legal action base on your destructive words.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    by the way, Phil, crossing of a white with golden will become yellow white, will not be full yellow ever. i think you have really shallow knowledge on discus genetic. hahaha..... sorry to say this but it is a known fact.