Thread: live food

live food

The weekly treats of live food are starting to get to get my wallet so have a new cunning plan.
    Have bought some (10) female guppies to live in the grow out tank. The theory is they have live young every 28 days so l should have fresh food for the kids on a regular basis.

Can anyone see a fault in the plan?

Larvae
    Hi nev,
    be careful of spreading diseases like viruses and parasites, guppies are notorius re. this, I would play it safe and use frozen foods that have been pre treated, just my opinion.

Ok, thanks for the warning. Will treat them with a course of prazi and lamisole. That should take care of most nasties.

its a good plan I used to to do the same, a few things to note.

keep your guppy tank cleaner then your discus tank, no uneaten food, no slime on glass or base of tank, absolutely spotless, it will make them breed more often and keep down disease.

if you see any disease in the guppy tank (fin rot, white spot, body/mouth fungus, neon tetra disease) do not feed, euthenise the lot and start again.

i also had good results with a trio of guppys in a big floating fish breeder (like the one's you see for betta's, when the fry were born they swam out of the slits in the breeders and the discus had a great time.

I have some of the dumbest discus, my grow out tank is full of guppy fry and the discus are totally disinterested.
    Any thoughts on why?

Spoilt!!!!!!!!!!

seriously I've put 50 neons in with mu 7 altums and 9 redbacks and come morning all thats left is 1 tail.

Discus are NO BETTER.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Some live foods that are inexpensive over the long haul are white worms. The fish like these a lot and EASY to culture.

I have also cultured daphnia and red worms. Both are easy and economical once things get rolling along.
    Back to aquariums after a 16 year absence

Just an Egg
    you know I had the same thing happen to me,I really don't think Discus like baby guppies.Cherry shrimp are very easy to cultivate in large numbers and Discus love them,you should give them a go.

Thanks Phil will give it a try.
    Most of the guppies are now in the belly of a tortoise.

Free Swimmer
    +1 go the cherries throw them in & sit back & watch.