Thread: Air Pumps

Air Pumps

A quick search didn't answer my question.

What is the quietest airpump available. The Tank is 110L and in our bedroom so something even remotely quiet won't do. It has to be super quiet.

Go...

Medium Discus
    why an air pump? anything with a diaphragm is going to make noise. Water pump i can help. Pentair make a pump called the quiet one which puts out less than 50 decibels from memory

a small internal filter with a venturi might be a go, it will get noisy when it gets dirt but other then that you shouldnt hear a sound.

if you want an airpump shego's are VERY quiet (ultima 350l/h), much quieter then eheim and aquaone pumps that i also use.

We've noticed that some of the tetras seem to be grasping, so the thought was an air pump to aid gas exchange because the HOB can get a bit noisy if the water level is sufficiently low to break the surface tension.

Medium Discus
    i think just get a straw lol

Its not the air pump that injects O2 on the water. It's the movement of the surface water it creates. Unless you've also got a sponge filter working from the pump, a small power head pointed upwards moving everything around would do the same thing.

Happy to be corrected, but I've no air pump on my display tank and no gasping.

I've also been down the same path your about to go. Whatever you get will be called "whisper" or "silent" and it'll seem ok for a day - then .... It'll sound just as loud as all the others. Putting it in a box and trying to sound proof it won't work either.

Wrigglers
    Hi,

I'm with Nev. Unless my quick read missed a specific purpose that the air pump is for then with your set up, Id just try to increase the surface water movement with a small internal power head filter with the outlet pointed to the surface to aerate the water. It would probably cost a lot less than a decent air pump?
    I also don't use air pumps on my tanks due to the noise, drove me nuts on the display tanks! Nothing worse than that hum when you are trying to relax in the lounge or sleep etc.
    I only aerate with an air stone when medicating, if needed these days.

Cheers

Cool, will look into a small powerhead. The missus will like that idea better than an airpump.

Larvae

agreed

I agree, small internals are better than air pumps on most occasions.