Just an Egg

how good is proton

hey guys i have been using a product called proton for a couple of months and i thought i would share my experience so what it is is a replacement for bbs

i feel i get better results with this product and you dont have to hatch out bbs so thats great
    it is used by allot of the aquaculture farms
    if i am aloud to post a link of there site can some 1 let me know cheers guys

post away we dont have comercial sponsors and if YOU'RE not selling or distributing it, the link will be fine.

Just an Egg
    ok good well here is the stuff i use imho its way better then bbs because its packed full of other goodies
    http://www.inve.com/INVE-Aquaculture...page.aspx/1136

You can just smell how good it is hahah i did it once never again the strongest smell ever stronger smell then shrimp paste which is intense

Just an Egg
    Proton may be an excellent food for some fish but not Discus,when Discus World was running I was the one who did all the breeding.It was up to me to raise discus to sale-able size in as short a time as possible.I experimented with up to 20,000 Discus at a time.
    Each tank were given different foods to record growth rates at different stages of development,and proton was one of those foods I experimented with,These tanks were on the same system so water quality and temperature were not individual influences.Approximately 1000 Discus from 1to4cm were fed proton,Proton was ground to powder for fry,fed as the only food to some and in mixes to others.The only causalities were those fed on Proton,some of the symptoms included refusal to eat,turning black,kidney inflammation,than wasting to death despite other foods being offered.Larger fish displayed liver and kidney damage before death.Proton is for commercial hatcheries that use the food fast as it has a short shelf life compared to aquarium foods and therefore not really suitable for the hobbyist.Proton is a excellent food for the fish species which
    it is designed,and its not designed for Discus.
    Hope this helps.

San Merah Discus
    You might have to drop in for a beer Phil, we planted ourselves in Booral 8 weeks ago and loving the area.

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by phil56
    Proton may be an excellent food for some fish but not Discus,when Discus World was running I was the one who did all the breeding.It was up to me to raise discus to sale-able size in as short a time as possible.I experimented with up to 20,000 Discus at a time.
    Each tank were given different foods to record growth rates at different stages of development,and proton was one of those foods I experimented with,These tanks were on the same system so water quality and temperature were not individual influences.Approximately 1000 Discus from 1to4cm were fed proton,Proton was ground to powder for fry,fed as the only food to some and in mixes to others.The only causalities were those fed on Proton,some of the symptoms included refusal to eat,turning black,kidney inflammation,than wasting to death despite other foods being offered.Larger fish displayed liver and kidney damage before death.Proton is for commercial hatcheries that use the food fast as it has a short shelf life compared to aquarium foods and therefore not really suitable for the hobbyist.Proton is a excellent food for the fish species which
    it is designed,and its not designed for Discus.
    Hope this helps.
    Would you consider starting another post of your own going into more detail of your findings with all the foods you used. Not many of us get the chance to experiment with thousands of fish!

Just an Egg
    Hi mistakes r crucial,might have to be a cup of Tea as I don't drink.Booral is quite a nice area,I live at Urangan not far at all,
    I work at Absolutely Fish in Main St,Thurs,Fri,Sat,if you get a chance drop in.
    We are also starting an aquarium club you can find on wbaqs.com .au always looking for new members.Hervey Bay and the surrounding areas 20 years ago was a major fish breeding area,And hosted the ornamental fish breeding association run by Lee Carter,Major breeders from Gympie to cairns would meet and exchange ideas.There were many breeders of Africans,angels, discus,and some very large hatcheries that breed mainly tetras.Unfortunately almost all have closed for one reason or another,and the ornamental fish breeding association disbanded.We are hoping the wbaqs.com.au can be a new starting point for information and rekindle the fish industry of the area.
    Hi klawz,I will if you like,however my findings may not be so helpful,my discus were very crowded,each 800litre tank housed 500 or more (3to4cm)fish.Disease was always a risk,so food that had the least effect on water quality and highest growth rate were used, not necessarily the best foods for growth in general. Water quality has probably the most impact on growth,as even when given the best foods if the water is poor growth is extremely slow.which means unless everything(tank size,water quality,P.H.,temperature,etc)is the same as mine your results will vary.
    Also many people may disagree with what I have to say as they may not have had similar findings.eg,some brands of brine shrimp carry various diseases some don't,if I say don't use them those who have not had a problem will disagree and attack what I say,those that have had a problem cant understand there attack.
    Bottom line if I print my results It will probably upset a lot of people.
    so be sure you really want to know?

Phil, please feel free to post your findings. I think we can cope
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Quote Originally Posted by Merrilyn
    Phil, please feel free to post your findings. I think we can cope
    +1 would be great to have access to that kind of data, i honestly believe between propper nutrition and water quality growing, breeding and just keeping discus can be ALOT less heart breaking.

Just an Egg
    I'll make a post very soon just trying to find time.