Just an Egg

what type of media do members us in there sump filters

hi all just wondering what members use in there sumps as media.i will need about 50 or so litres of media so was asking to see what was the best performing and best value media to use.regards lawrence
    discus.is there any other fish.

Wrigglers
    I know Jothy and a few other members use hydroton (expanded clay balls) with success, pretty cheap too around $30? for 50l? dont quote me on this was something along those lines..
    Should be available at local nurseries

Or maybe somehow convert one section of the sump into a moving bed? Use k1 or HEL-X (apparently has 40% more surface area than k1)
    *Disclaimer:
    If you hav'ent relised by now i can't spell for $H!T

The beauty of sumps is that just about anything with high surface area can be used.

I've used the clay as described above, but I've also seen everything from cheap nylon pot scrubbers from your local $2 shop, to old nylon fishing line and plastic onion bags all being used with great success.

As long as it has high surface area and doesn't break down in water it good to go..

Free Swimmer
    I seen the old onion bag being used,but for me I use matrix at $50 for 4ltr,at that price it is expensive ,so I by when I cani still need to get 8ltrs more

Just an Egg
    scoria u cant go wrong with that and yes onion bags are also great

Quote Originally Posted by random-cichlid
    scoria u cant go wrong with that and yes onion bags are also great
    Scoria is a good option. Pretty cheap from Bunnings. Can be a bit of a bugger to clean and comes very dirty. The easiest way I've heard is to put it in a wheel barrow and hit it with a pressure washer..

seriously if your concidering scoria, go get some hydroton, so much easier to wash and much gentlier on the hands, $40 for 50L

Those logs Adrian sells are brilliant. Also use ceramic noodles, coarse sponge, pots scrubbers basically anything with a large surface area. Because you'll have a higher flow in the sump, the bacteria is going to grow on everything, so you just need to give em something to live on.