Free Swimmer

Breeding Tank orientation

I've taken one step closer to my breeding ambitions with the purchase of three 2x18x18 tanks. They have the two 2' sides painted one of the 18" sides painted. The guy was an angel breeder and was cutting down to 50 tanks! He had them oriented in this fashion to maximise the number of tanks he could fit in his fish room.

I am about to build my rack and was intending to clean one of the 2' sides and paint the clear end so I had more viewing space. I figure it won't make a difference to the fish, but given I have no experience with this I figured it was worth checking.

I plan to start with angels then move to discus. Am I better to leave the tanks "longwise" or will changing them to sideways" makes no difference?

Cheers,
    Scott

[/list]

Medium Discus Discus Planetarium's Avatar
    It's all up to you mate how much room do you have if you have the room just run them length ways not sure if you are going to run a sump if you could get one more tank the same size it would look better and you could use it for your fry

Free Swimmer
    The tanks are drilled and have weirs fitted, but my plan was for something simple with each tank having its own sponge filter and heater.

Room is not an issue if they go into the garage, however if I orient them so the long side is the front I have a better chance of sneaking them into the house when SWMBO isn't looking (who am I kidding? The kids tell me she has eyes in the back of her head!!)

The plan is to have one tank for a pair of Angels, one for young fry and the third as a QT/holding/whatever tank. I have a spare 4x18x18 to use as a grow out tank.

I also have my current 30x12x12 QT tank I can use if needed.

Cheers,
    Scott

Just an Egg
    hehehhe its how it starts then your pair will breed again in 2 weeks then u will need another tank for the next batch of fry etc etc.

Its fun thou

Just an Egg
    Will be watching this thread closely and would love to see some more pics when u get a moment.

Free Swimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by random-cichlid
    Will be watching this thread closely and would love to see some more pics when u get a moment.
    Don't get too excited just yet! Still in the planning stages with 3 tanks sitting on the garage floor (amongst all the pother junk!)

Cheers,
    Scott

Hey Scott
    For Space reasons I ran mine with short side across the front and had all sides painted bar the front and lids.

IMO I preferred it as the parents could get further back with their fry when I was around and this seemed to keep them at ease. Just mt 2cents worth.
    Cheers Kath

I wouldn't change their original orientation Scotty.

If your fish are used to the odd orientation you'll find they'll only swim 18in then turn.. or is it that, if you get fish that are used to a conventional orientation and put them in the oddtanks they hit the glass and swim for "about 6in worth".

You'll get them all confused mate :P

Free Swimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by swampy1972
    You'll get them all confused mate :P
    Then I wont feel so alone

Oh well, this is project two. Project one is to get the driftwood out of the bath and into the 6 footer with the plants I've accumulated. Then set these up and start with a pair of angels. Baby steps

Setting up a planted tank is easy mate.. something that can be thrown together in a couple of hours. Just look at my thread on the other forum :P

Can't wait to see the pics.