Thread: Ammonia

Free Swimmer

Ammonia

Hi All,Ive just started a fishless cycle,thank you marlon who gave me pure ammonia now it's just a case of time.I'll b following Marlons advice on this,have just put 10ml of ammonia into tank and with in 1/2 hr the ammonia ph hit 8 ppm well that's as high as my chart goes its lucky there's no fish in the tank

Larvae
    Thats way too high....you need to keep the ammonia at around 2 ppm otherwise you kill the bacteria you are trying to grow.

Free Swimmer
    thanks wendy,ammonia now at 2ppm other levels 0ppm i mite add some stability (80ml) or may b just leave it.

Larvae
    I haven't ever used stability so I don't know what it would do. However I think the less you add the better....just give it time. The bacteria need time to grow.

Free Swimmer
    Ok ammonia=0.50ppm,nitrite=0ppm,nitrate=0ppm and ph=6.6/6.8.So i should start 2 c nitrite readings hopefully soon.Will check levels till friday b4 i add more ammonia (5ml),i guess patience is a must 4 this process to b done right.

Free Swimmer
    Ok, ammonia=0ppm after adding 5ml of ammonia last night,other levels still 0ppm,i added 7.5ml ammonia today hoping it will read 0ppm monday afternoon,i seeded the tank with sub straight from my other tank so if the ammonia levels reading zero with in a 24hr period and 0ppm in other levels does that mean the tank is ready for fish or should i continue adding ammonia 5-7.5ml aday until i get readings of nitrite and nitrate,Hope this makes sense

Blue Diamond Discus BigDaddyAdo's Avatar
    If you are seeing the Ammonia disappear you should be seeing the Nitrates rise unless you have a bunch of plants soaking it up.

The Nitrite is very easily missed.

As you used seeded media you should see results in a fraction of the time than if you cycled from scratch.
    I don't get drunk I get AWESOME!!!