Wrigglers

Earliest age able to treat fry with Potassium Permanganate?

Hi gang,

I've got a group of fry, some three weeks old, some two weeks old. They are coming along well but I'm just trying to be prepared. As Flukes is a major killer of fry at a young age I'm just wondering IF I end up with some flukes what is a safe age to use Potassium Permanganate on them? It seems a gentler treatment for flukes than Praziquantel ?

Also... just thought to ask, IF my fry were in a tank that ended up with worms in the parents.... what would be a safe age to use Levamisole and Praziquantel ?

anytime after 3 weeks should be ok try and use a dose no higher then 2mg/L

Wrigglers
    Hi Illusn,

Thanks for that, hopefully I wont need it. Yep, I'll stick to the 2mg if its required,

Cheers

Just an Egg
    You can over come most fry problems by lowering the P.H and using a U.V.
    P.P can be used,however an overdose will not only oxidize your gill fluke but the Discus gills as well,or weaken them permanently,so be very careful.watch during treatment if they show signs of distress add some Hydrogen Peroxide(20ml to 500lt) or sodium Thiosulphate to neutralize the effects of the P.P. If you follow Illusn advice to the letter you should be fine.
    Before breeding I dropped the P.H to 4 for a week or so to eliminate most external parasites than slowly raise to 5.5 for breeding.Try not to use medications where possible. Discus can take a P.H down to 2.75 than start to drop(I learned this over the years from P.H crashes not trying to see how far they would go) so you don't need to worry to much about 4.
    As for worms,to treat correctly you must know which worm.examination under a microscope is the only way or its hit and miss,best medicated through food.
    good luck