Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

The cost in running fish tanks

Im just wondering if it costs everyone alot to keep multiple tanks in terms of electricity consumption or if im able to save some power somehow?

4000L with 15% daily changes = $6000 a year in power

Cost depends on what conditions you're keeping. For example a Discus tank will cost you more in terms of heating, whereas a tank primarily for plants will vary depending on lights and the use of Co2 equipment etc.
    The cheapest tank would be a small, low light tank that runs at lower temp (or cold).

Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN
    4000L with 15% daily changes = $6000 a year in power
    Ouch,
    Not game to even think about the costs, but nothing like illusn.
    My only power saving is to put the lights on a timer.

Wrigglers
    Hi Conrad,

I find what I get out of the hobby is priceless. Its very satisfying. If you have an average size display tank I don't think you will find it to painful, if notice it at all. I've recently started hanging out the laundry and not using the drier any more to help towards the bill. Either way I think its worth every penny,

All the best with it,

Cheers

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Ive got a 6x2x2 display tank and three standard 4footers for breeding. I totally agree that what we get out of discus is priceless i was just curious

Wrigglers
    Hey Conrad,

I just realised I missed the bit in your first question about "multiple" tanks. Its amazing how once you get into it how tanks just seem to keep appearing. I've just gone from having a 1150lt display with a 200lt quarantine to getting a 400lt early grow out tank as well and am now looking for a couple at least more 200lts for breeding and then a 6 footer for advanced grow out. I was using the 400lt as a holding tank and a pair decided to spawn in it and as of today there's another pair in the quarantine.
    I'm quietly concerned about the wife's reaction to future bills... : )

Cheers

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Lol yep i know the feeling Hooked. My girlfriend nearly had a fit/breakdown when we got our powerbill haha but i expected it so i didnt mind

Free Swimmer
    Hi All,what power usage my wife works for a energy company and is UP in management so my bill always says no payment required,lol

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Post Proof or Fail.