Threaded View

Wrigglers

Laid again with fry just feeding on parents. Good or bad?

Hi Gang,
    I recently took delivery of a lovely Spotted Butterfly pair. I've only had them 11 days but they have laid last night for the third time.
    First I should say that I wasn't prepared at all as thought they would take ages to settle in. They were in a tank with another pair that were removed soon after. Also the filtration was a canister with fast flow etc.
    The first batch of eggs went within a couple of days of arriving. Within a few days they laid again and 14 free swimming fry has been the result. Amazing considering all the messing around I was doing trying to make their environment better.
    The fry have been free swimming for a few days now and are now hanging around the parents feeding off the slime coat. It has been great watching them care for their fry.
    But surprise - surprise again this morning. All was going to "plan". I came down, sitting quietly watching the parents care for their fry spitting them back onto the.........eggs?
    Its a very large batch of eggs as well, tightly packed together. The last was spread out and only half as much.
    I thought the parents would be caring for their young for two to three weeks before laying again?
    Everything seems ok, the parents are caring for the fry as before and now are also fanning the eggs etc? Im wondering what probs this may cause? Will the fry eat or damage the developing eggs? (probably eggs are to big?)
    Is this normal behaviour? Perhaps the fry's days are numbered as the parents prepare to hatch out the new eggs?
    Its a poor pic (did'nt want to set up any extra lights in case I bothered them to much) but you can hopefully make out the fry near the top right of the cone and about half the mass off eggs on the upper right also.

I guess its just sit back and let them get it right in their own good time,

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc09972.jpg