Wrigglers

6 x 2 x 2 divided breeding tank?

Hi all,

Ive been on the search for breeding tanks. 2 x 2's has been a recommended size. I've recently purchased a couple of breeding pairs that should arrive next week. I have also a pair that has recently declared their affections.
    I've been thinking of dividing a 6 x 2 x 2 into 3 sections with glass and silicon.
    Firstly does the individual size of 2 x 2 sound a good size to the experienced breeders? Or too big/small?
    Would a see through, divided tank be beneficial? Promote good caring/defending skills? Or opposite effect, possible cause unwanted distraction between the divided fish being able to see each other? Should I make the dividers from opaque glass? Any pros or cons to think of.
    Like most I'm limited for space as the hobby is spreading like a multiplying "virus". Just thought this might be a compact unit instead of the individual units?

Thanks for your time,

Cheers

Free Swimmer
    Hi,have u thought of frosted glass,try a glazer

Wrigglers
    Hi Rob,

I'm not sure mate? I'm thinking see through glass, lets them still have that social group type feel yet they will build a sense of security as they get use to being separated from each other? Or could fry try to head over towards a near by neighbour that's on the other side of the glass???
    What do you think about the size mate of 2 x 2 cubes?

Cheers

San Merah Discus
    At one stage we had 15 breeding pairs going on 3 levels and they could all see their next door neighbours and we didn't have too many issues. If we had to try something different for a pair to get on with it we'd block 3 sides of the tank off with styrene but that didn't happen too often.

2 x 2 cubes are perfect.

Addictive it is, give it 2 years and your partner might be turning around saying where the hell did those 50 tanks come from lol!

Wrigglers
    Hi Thanks for the info. I will go with clear glass I think as a divider.
    Wow 15 pairs! The mind boggles at the amount of associated equipment, grow out tanks etc and all the effort involved to keep it all ticking over. Still I'm sure as set ups get to that size I guess they become somewhat automated? Or your processes like water changing involve higher storage volume and faster change volumes, piping systems etc?
    Hmmm, yes my wife has (quite rightly so) made a few comments about how much time I'm devoting to my hobby. Time to take her out for dinner I think! : )

Cheers

San Merah Discus
    If I was you mate I'd be taking her out at least once or twice a week because it only gets worse! (Better)

One of the major benefits of having a plumber of many years as a fish room partner was our setup but it still took 30 hours + per week between 2 people to run it. I'm sure the pics of our setup are still around here somewhere.

We used to judge a good fish room day by the amount of beers we could drink after hand wiping 39 4ft grow out tanks in the time it took to change 3000ltrs of water.

I only ever got to 2 beers as it took 15 - 20 minutes. We soon found out the key is to turn the system down so it takes at least 3 or 4 beers!