Wrigglers

Driftwood for ph lowering?

Hi all,

I read with interest the previous post about lowering ph and instead of highjacking the op's post I thought I'd ask the question here specifically with regards to driftwood. Great question by the way Nevsfish! : )
    I understand that wood in an aquarium lowers ph. I have driftwood that I think is Jarrah in my largest tank and wondered how it is that it lowers the ph also what are the woods that are recommended over others? Bogwood has been mentioned.
    Also does the driftwood lose its ability to lower ph over a while or is it a continual process related to the slow decay of the timber?
    I have a bunch of tanks. I use two 220lt blue plastic drums to age my water after adding Seachem ph buffer and Superclor "detoxifier" (not sure of correct term as am not at home). I'm going to have to purchase a water storage tank soon to be able to hold greater volume as the drums getting a little small now.
    I'm just wondering what the best way to go about it is using the driftwood. I imagine there's a ratio you need to work out relating to how much timber you would put into a holding/ageing tank? Can you have to much timber? Can you soak to long? What are the pitfalls if any, or pros and cons?

Thanks in advance, happy New year to all!

Cheers

all wood wil lower ph, bassicly they release tannins (humeric acids) which lower ph, also they tend to mop up carbonate lowering the kh and Ph respectivly.

I use aquarium wood bog wood mangrove root grape vine, gold vine just cause i dont want to risk putting in any wood that will leach pesticide into my tanks.

as far as i know you really cant over do wood for a black water biotype tank, just the more you add the darker the tea coloured water you get.

Free Swimmer
    +1 for driftwood,mangrove root.

Wrigglers
    Hi Illusn,
    thanks for the technical info on what happens. I like aussieant32's post in the nearby "ph question" in this section. He puts driftwood in the water ageing tank and I think that's a great idea. Great point also about not putting in wood that may leach pesticides etc.

Hey Swifto,
    Yes, the mangrove roots look great in the tanks. I need to collect up some more driftwood.......

Happy new Year, all the very best!

Cheers

Just an Egg
    i use mangrove roots and it lowered my ph form about 8 to 6.8 in about 3 weeks with the assistance of 1 40% water change.
    here a pic for who that are interested

Wrigglers
    Hi,
    the Mangrove root looks very effective. A great looking tank all round. Its interesting to hear the difference it made in your tank. Its a greater affect than I realised. I have always used driftwood as I like the natural look but not really paid much attention to the amount it changed the ph. I knew it had an affect but just adjusted the tank as a whole to 6.8. I have driftwood in my main tanks of the hard wood variety and am keen to explore putting more it into a large water ageing tank of some kind to further help with lowering the ph and reduce the amount of additives required to do the same.
    If only there were some Mangrove swamps in Perth! For responsible collecting of old dead wood of course.

Cheers