Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

Apistogramma cacatuoides

hi
    i am about to set up a tank for some Apistogramma cacatuoides
    it is a 2x12x14 is that to small or is it ok for a pair and i was going to put in some guppys also 3 pair
    start with some sand and some plants some wood and some rocks 2 pots up side down 1 on each end of the tank
    any thing more i need
    i have had African Cichlids for yrs but now i want to try Apistogramma
    i have had a go at discus and they are doing good had them for a yr now

o i was going to start the tank off with 1/2 the water coming from the discus tank when i do my w/c and 1/2 new water and put the guppy in for 2 weeks then the Apistogramma
    so any help will be good thanks

yanke

Just an Egg
    That tank should be fine for a pair. I don't understand why you wanna use old water.....If your doing it to cycle the tank it won't help..If so add a filter to your existing tank for 3-4 weeks then move it over to the new tank. I always keep extra sponge filter in my tanks as you never know what I might find to bring home And it make it easy to set up a quick hospital/QT tank.

(I'm thinking you didn't mean 2x12x14. As I never seen a 2" tall tank..12x12x14?)

Just an Egg

Wrigglers

Re: Apistogramma cacatuoides

Quote Originally Posted by yanke
    hi
    i am about to set up a tank for some Apistogramma cacatuoides
    it is a 2x12x14 is that to small or is it ok for a pair and i was going to put in some guppys also 3 pair
    start with some sand and some plants some wood and some rocks 2 pots up side down 1 on each end of the tank
    any thing more i need
    i have had African Cichlids for yrs but now i want to try Apistogramma
    i have had a go at discus and they are doing good had them for a yr now

o i was going to start the tank off with 1/2 the water coming from the discus tank when i do my w/c and 1/2 new water and put the guppy in for 2 weeks then the Apistogramma
    so any help will be good thanks

That sized tank will be fine and using sand,plants,driftwood & rocks is good. Cacatuoides are quite hardy and dont really require extreme water parameters like some other apisto species.Keep your water on the acidic side, around 6.2 - 6.4 ph and a temp of 26deg.Water only needs to be moderately soft, say 150-200ppm "TDS".

yanke
    DWARF CICHLID LOVER, I Keep and breed apistogrammas, and have a 4x2x18 display tank which houses big discus fish, cardinal & rummynose tetras, german blue ram pair and a lone male pepp. b/n.

I have the following apisto species atm:

Algodon, Atahualapa, Agassizii, Baenschi"inka", Blue Steel,Borelli"opal", Cacatuoide"orange flash",,Elizabethae"red belly", Hoignei, Hongsloi"farb f2", Iniridae, Mendezi, Nijsseni, Panduro, Pebas"sp.morado", Trifasciata.

Just an Egg
    hi
    i do have a filter that i have in the discus tank i will be useing
    ok i start with all new water then
    yanke

Medium Discus
    G'day Yanke

the tank size you've mentioned in your initial post "will do" for breeding purposes but "will not do" for long term housing of a single pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides. The cacatuoides males will comfortably reach 4 inches (10cm / 100mm) in total length and this space really is inadequate. A pair will quite happily breed in such confined quarters but once the female raises fry she will more than likely kill the male considering him a threat to her brood. A standard 2 foot tank (600x300x300mm) is commonly used to "breed" Apistos and once bred the parents are segregated but tans this size are not sufficient for anything more than that.

take care

Just an Egg
    hi
    thanks for that maybe i have to keep them in a 3ft tank then
    and when they do breed take the male out
    i have a 3ftx10inchx10inch tank how would that be
    or a 3ftx14x14
    yanke

Medium Discus
    hi
    thanks for that maybe i have to keep them in a 3ft tank then
    and when they do breed take the male out
    i have a 3ftx10inchx10inch tank how would that be
    or a 3ftx14x14
    yanke
    If your 3x14x14 is very complexly arranged (eg: stuffed full) then you 'might' keep all the fish alive. Just remember that "most"Apistos are pretty easy to keep and breed, the difficulty lies with keeping them alive afterwards. This is why parents are usually segregated when breeding in smaller tanks. What you're trying to do is possible but you must be aware of the risks. If you're familar with Apisto behaviour you may monitor the situation and intervene if and when necessary but if you're not so familiar you need to be prepared for the consequences - which are often far from obvious. If in doubt shove heaps of plants, rocks, driftwood and other ornamants so fishes can easily hide if they want or need to. Regardless of what decisions you make, pay lots of attention as you will learn heaps this way, far more than anyone of us may teach you. All the best with your fish and all the best for the upcoming year

take care

Just an Egg
    hi
    well it looks like it going to be some time before i get any
    all i can find is males
    and i will put them in a 3ft tank
    yanke

Medium Discus
    hi
    well it looks like it going to be some time before i get any
    all i can find is males
    and i will put them in a 3ft tank
    yanke
    The cacatuoides are probably the most common and popular Apisto so I wouldn't imagine you'd have too much difficulty finding a pair. I'd freight you up a pair myself but I know breeders in NSW would be happy to supply.

take care