Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Larvae

Finally, I have taken the plunge!

After many months of reading I have finally decided the time is right, the tank is ready and I found some locally bred juveniles that are in excellent shape....lets hope I can keep them that way! So far all is good, I bought them home yesterday afternoon and they settled in very well. By this morning I was able to take these pictures....they don't seem timid at all. I even took a couple with a flash and they didn't seem to mind. They are brilliant blue turquoise according to the breeder and they are just lovely!!! according to me!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3_492.jpg   5_345.jpg   6_142.jpg  

Congratulations on taking the plunge Wendy. You've chosen well. They look like a lovely, even, healthy group.

Now the fun starts, lots of food and lots of waterchanges to achieve optimal growth.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Larvae
    First water change was done this morning, I plan to do 25 percent every other morning. Do you think this is enough?
    Food ...apparently they are used to your beefheart receipe, so I'm about to discover the joys of "cooking" for your fish!! I have got them nibbling at NLS Grow in the meantime, I have tried a few other dry foods that I had on hand and will shop today for the ones that they are used to.

Tiny Fry

hey

Nice purchase they look healthy and will turn out nice when they grow up. 25% water change would be great for them to keep them healthy and growing well. Good luck.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy
    First water change was done this morning, I plan to do 25 percent every other morning. Do you think this is enough?
    Food ...apparently they are used to your beefheart receipe, so I'm about to discover the joys of "cooking" for your fish!! I have got them nibbling at NLS Grow in the meantime, I have tried a few other dry foods that I had on hand and will shop today for the ones that they are used to.

Sounds ideal to me. Good luck.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus Discus Planetarium's Avatar
    looking good wendy well done your tank looks great...keep the pics up..

Good start Wendy. I hope they give you a lot of pleasure.
    I always use the recipes listed on this forum for DIY beefheart mix, and my fish always loved it. Just take the time to get all the sinu (sp?) out of the heart first - better still, get your butcher to do it. I buy mine from the local Woolies, so I have to do it myself.
    Invest in a good little bench top manual meat grinder. It doesn't have to be an expensive one, but it needs at least a couple of grades of mincer to get it fine enough. I tried the electric food processor, but found that it makes it into a paste that dissolves into a cloud when it hits the water - no good!!

Larvae
    Thankyou everybody for the encouragement, so far the fish all look great and are now eating the NLS grow with some enthusiasm.
    I went on the shopping spree this afternoon and have all the ingredients for Merrilyns Mix. It will have to wait till after work tomorrow before I can make it but as they are eating the NLS now I think that will be fine. I already have a good meat mincer so it should be easy peasy!

Sounds good Wendy. Like any living thing (us included), they benefit from a varied diet so great to hear they're taking other foods as well..

Just an Egg

Discus juvies

Hi Wendy,

Good to know they have settled in well.

Regards
    Mike