Thread: Failing plants

Just an Egg

Failing plants

Hi ive got some wisteria and blue stricta and they seem to be struggling to put roots down and they end up just coming out of the eco complete substrate. Also the stems seem to be very brittle. Im using T5s for lighting.

Any points to fizing this would be great?

Cheers

Just an Egg
    How deep is the substrate? Sounds like you need to get that wysteria all the way to the bottom. Under t5 with a good substrate, wysteria should go nuts. As soon as you can get roots on it'll take off. Stricta I don't know, I don't think its a true aquatic though.

Just an Egg
    substraite is about 7cm deep. Had a closer look at the floating stems and they have seemed to rot off. And they seem way too fragile. Is that normal?

Ive got nitrates of about 10ppm. PH of 7.3 and a GH of 180.

Cheers

What's your water temperature? I gather this is a discus tank, is that right?

Wonder if your wisteria came from a cold water tank and it's had a bit of a heat shock. It's a fairly hardy plant and should do well once it recovers from the temperature change.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Both plants are tough as nails my advise is let them float for a few days then when they have roots plant the it will help them stay planted.

I'm also thinking heat shock, make sure yout t5s are on for 8-10 hours a day, use a timer to keep it regular.

Just an Egg
    No its not actually a discus tank at the moment. Its more of a community tank. Water temp is about 28. Im pretty sure it wouldnt have been a cold water tank the plants came from.

The plant stalks taht have been floating for a few weeks have not yet shown any signs of roots forming.

Also my t5s are on for 12 hours.