Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Try it and see, but if you can see bubbles from it floating to the surface it's not getting 98% diffusion.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    OK I have placed the diffuser/reactor into the sump, so far so good....

Now, I have heard that 3 bubble per second during the lighting cycle is the accepted rate, is this correct?

I have it running at that rate, and I cannot actually see any bubbles at all in the reactor, if i open up the valve I do see bubbles so the co2 is flowing and I cannot see any leaks in the lines.

My tank is 300 litres so what rate should I be adding the CO2?

Does your regulator have a solenoid or are you turning it on/off manually at the reg each day?

If it has a solenoid I'd recommend getting a cheap Ph controller. This is the one I use and it makes operating Co2 really easy http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Weipro-PH...item5d3167b6d7

If you don't want to go with a controller, you can simply run the solenoid on a simple light timer. Most that do it this way tend to turn the gas off about 30min prior to lights out, and bring it back on about 30min before lights on. The reason being that the gas levels will be sufficient for the last 20min of the day and allows it build up prior to the plants demanding it in the morning. You need to remember that plants only use Co2 during the photo-period, after that they actuall give it off.

If you're running it manually or with a timer you really need to buy a drop checker so that you can set the correct bbs rate, otherwise you run the risk of saturating the water column with Co2 and gassing your livestock.

Until you get a drop checker I'd start slowly with 1-2 bbs just to be on the sfae side.

The amount of Co2 required really depends on the type of plants you're keeping, so it sounds like you really need to do a bit more research on the requirements of your plants and the setup of your system. Co2 systems can be dangerous to you and your livestock so it really pays to do your homework. I've seen plenty of tank setups that are equipped with it that don't actually 'need' it, so they end up a waste of time and money and actually cause more hassle than benefit.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks Swampy, I actually have a GHL aquarium computer from my Marine days, so once the new PH probe arrives I can program it to do it all automatically.

I do have a solenoid on the regulator. Is a drop checker different to a bubble counter?

How do I set up the rate using PH as the guiding variable?

A drop checker gives you a visual indication much like a Ph test - it's glass bowl that has indicating fluid in it that stays submerged in the tank and changes colour in response to the Co2 saturation. Just do a search on EBay and you'll find plenty of cheap ones.
    You'll also probably need a calibrating solution for your probe if it's not supplied with one to help setup the computer.
    Since you're using a controller, the bubble rate "almost" becomes irrelevant since it's responding to Ph levels. With that in mind, I still tend to set mine for about 2bps to slow the rate of change when the solenoid opens. If you have a high bps rate your Ph will change quickly and possibly shock your livestock.

I hope that's easy to understand?? PM me if you need clarification,

Medium Discus
    Hey Swampy,
    hows things? looking at setting up a Co2 system on my 6x2x2 tank. Would these regulators work on our Australian co2 bottles??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...43#description

Also are they any good??? they seem like a reasonable price and i would buy 1 of those ph controllers that you suggested and you use??

Have you had any trouble with your controller??

I could just diffuse the co2 with 1 of those co2 atomizer straight into my eheim 2217 couldn't I ??

Cheers Axl

Hey Axl.

The main point to any reg is to ensure the thread fits and AS (Aust Standard) thread because that's what will be on the bottle purchased in Aust'. If not, you need to know what thread it is and source an adaptor.
    It would also pay to find out if the solenoid is replaceable should it fail, as many of the 'Asian brand' ones do (my Up Aqua one did). I purchased mine in from B and C aquariums in Sydney so it was an easy swap over.
    I have nothing but praise for the Weipro 2010 that I use. It's a great little unit that's accurate enough for the hobbyist (like me :P) so I would recommend them.
    For a 6x2x2 tank I would look at making a DIY reactor to reduce gas wastage. They're pretty straight forward and made from readily available parts. I'll PM you a link to a very good one. If you prefer to use a diffuser on the intake side of your canister, I'd recommend getting a good one like the Up Aqua inline diffuser. From all accounts they do a good job of diffusing the gas (as long as they're kept clean), otherwise you run the risk of getting a Co2 build up in the canister and you end up with a filter that burps/farts large Co2 bubbles into the tank. Running the higher concentration of Co2 through the canister has also been known to harden O-rings and impellers etc causing them to become brittle and causing leaks and component failures, so something else to consider.
    Co2 setup is fun - ain't it :P

Medium Discus
    thanks for the info swampy and sending me that link (when you do). How much was your regulator and solenoid from that shop????

Sounds like making my own co2 reactor would be the go and do you just run that through your eheim 2217 as well???