Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

CO2 setup question

I am setting up a new planted tank in an Aquareef 300 and will be usiong CO2 for the first time.

I have purchased all of the kit, Sera bottle, Dymax-122 regulator, diffuser and bubble counter.

My question is, can I set up the diffuser in the Sump rather then in the tank?
    I am loathe to add equipment in the tank if I can avoid it.

Free Swimmer
    hi,from what i've herd u can,but someone with more experience mite no better.

Have just (today) done the exact same thing.
    I've used a CO2 reactor instead of a diffuser in the sump. just put a small power head to drive it in there.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    OK, so should I place the diffuser before or after the bio balls?

Aeration is the enemy of a Co2 system, meaning you want the maximum time for Co2 to dissolve in to the water column before it falls through the media again (I take it you have a wet/dry sump).

The action of the water falling through the media releases the Co2 to atmosphere - wasting it.

Place the reactor in the area adjacent to your return pump in the sump. Ideally, you'd have it on the line out of the return pump with Co2 injected directly in.

Have a look on the aquariumlife forum to get some great info on planted tank and Co2 setup

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks, I will set it up next to the return pump and see how it goes.

The reactor will dissolve most of the CO2, just having fine bubbles wastes most of it and it just goes straight to the surface. Reactors don't cost much. $25 or so and do a great job.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    What is the difference between the reactor and a diffuser? I thought the diffuser allowed the CO2 to dissolve before being released into the water

Quote Originally Posted by pjcook
    What is the difference between the reactor and a diffuser? I thought the diffuser allowed the CO2 to dissolve before being released into the water
    A reactor is a larger unit, generally external to the tank though not always, that has return water flow from the filter passing through it on the way back to the tank. It also has items suh as bio-balls, noodles etc that allows the gas to be broken up to aid in absorption.

The key to their design is that the water flow is directed DOWN and the gas is injected toward the top of the unit. This sets up a situation where the bubbles that are trying to float up through the reactor, are countered by the downward waterflow suspending them in the reactor while they are broken up by the bio-balls and gradually dissolve.

You need to get a unit suited to your filter flow rate, or run it separately to you filter on a dedicated powerhead/pump in order to establish the equilibrium between the upward trend of the bubbles vs the downward flow.

They are far more effective than diffusers because of the action of holding the gas in the chamber..

Diffusers on the otherhand are a simple ceramic disc that breaks the gas into 'micro-bubbles' in the hope that they dissolve prior to getting to the surface. Some include a small spiral below the disc to provide more time for the gas to dissolve prior to going through the disc. The ones I've used to date do not seem that effective if you're hoping to dissolve 100% of the gas.

If you chose a diffuser, place it below the filter outlet so that the rising mist of bubbles get caught in the flow and hopefully dissolve more for you.

Clear as mud?? :P

Hi, I'm New Here!
    OK I have a DYMAX DF-102 Diffuser which has the following descrition:
    DF-102 DIFFUSER

DF-102 DIFFUSER

Combination of separating disc with ceramic atomizer to create the 2 in 1 Co2 reactor.

Double efficiency of diffusing up to 98% of Co2 into the water.

Easy installation and maintenance.

For up to 100~180cm tank.

Looks like it fulfills the description