Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bigger is better but is fun o watch them grow, if it was me I'd get 5 smaller fish bout 5cm body length (ie without tail), i find it more rewarding, but bigger fish will be easier to keep.

the Bn wont be a problem, but your tetras will likely get eaten

Wrigglers
    I've never lost a tetra to a Discus myself, but I'm not saying it doesn't ever happen at all.

Make sure your filtration is spot on - overkill in this department would be just about right.

Good luck!

Greggy

Just an Egg
    thanks

I don't have room for another canister but thinking of putting an internal power filter in?

Black Widow tetras are quite large compared to your average neons or cardinals. I'd be surprised if they got bothered by your Discus.
    For what my opinion's worth, I don't rate the internal filters. I think you'd be better served by a good quality hang-on filter if you don't want to upgrade your existing canister. They do a far better job than an internal and take up very little room.

Just an Egg
    I may take a look at a HOB.

It isnt that I dont want to upgrade my canister, I just really dont have room for another one to sit while it seeds

Where are you from aussieant?
    Cheers Kath

Quote Originally Posted by aussieant32
    It isnt that I dont want to upgrade my canister, I just really dont have room for another one to sit while it seeds
    If you use as much of the media as possible out of the old filter by putting it in the new one your cycle period will be cut down dramatically - particularly if you don't add any more bioload.

The bacteria from the old media will quickly spread to colonise the new media.

I recently did this using a small hob filter. I used nothing but some matrix from a mature canister in behind the foam of the hob = no fluctuations in the water, and all the livestock are happy as Larry

Just an Egg
    picked up a HOB in the end, added matrix from my canister to help it along. It turns over 300L/H so I am now hitting 1250L?H which I am happy with.

Will still add some stability etc to help for a few days but should be good to get them on the weekend