Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

Getting back into discus

Hi Everyone

So my 250L aquarium is starting to get quite empty now, only 1 BN and 5 black widow tetras in there, I am thinking of going back to Discus, I used to keep them about 4 years ago but had to move house and couldn't take them with me.

I was thinking about 5 discus in the tank, just got to decide what breed.

My only concern was the BN, how likely is it that he will try to latch on to the side of the discus?

Now, as far as I can remember I don't need anything else for the tank, I have a heater (that is about 7 years old now so I am going to grab a new one) and a canister that pumps about 950L/H. Will upgrade the lighting too but is that pretty much it equipment wise?

Thank you

Medium Discus Discus Planetarium's Avatar
    sounds good mate if you need a hand with anything just let me know,if your looking for some very nice discus i can help you there also....we can ship aus wide...

Welcome back to Discus.. I'd only go with 4 fish to give them ample volume to grow out. I'd also start with sub-adult/adult while you're getting yourself back into it as they're more tolerant to water quality fluctuation than juvies.
    Keep a good eye on your water quality too. The canister may be sufficient, but you may also think about upgrading it depending on how well it's holding your paramaters.
    I'd also get rid of the BN. They can tend to latch on to Discus, but more importantly, they're a really dirty fish putting out a disproportionate amount of waste.

Just an Egg
    thanks both. I dug out my old discus keeping books and decided on 4 as well. How would I go about telling the age? Is it kind of size orientated? I was advised to go about 5-6cm? Sound about right?

I was worried you would say that about the BN, I adore him and will hate losing him. Should the black widows be ok? They seem very passive?

Forgot also there are also 4 corys but they get on in with everyone

Free Swimmer
    Hi,go with discus at least 12cm.or bigger, buy the biggest u can afford.

Never had a drama with bn, but they do make a lot of mess. probably due to all the waste they eat.

Just an Egg
    just got off the phone with a discus specialty store near me. He said the BN will be fine, standard plecs can be a problem but BN won't bother them?

Also he said to buy a max of 7cm?

Does this sound right to you guys?

I'd of said min 7cm, prefer 10cm for starters. And buy them seperately or in pairs. what's your location btw? My local shops don't open till 10.

Quote Originally Posted by swifto
    Hi,go with discus at least 12cm.or bigger, buy the biggest u can afford.
    +1. The bigger the better while you're still finding you feet. Ultimately though the choice is yours.

The issue with buying smalller fish is that they're still prone to stunting if you get their care wrong in the early days, meaning they'll never acheive their true growth potential.

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev
    I'd of said min 7cm, prefer 10cm for starters. And buy them seperately or in pairs. what's your location btw? My local shops don't open till 10.
    I know the owner, rang his mobile.

I will have a look at the 7-10cm mark then, going to go there on Saturday morning.

thanks swampy, I was hoping to get smaller ones as I am not 'new' to keeping discus but it seems that the general thought is to get bigger ones.

Cheers