Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!
    Aquarium Industries is the only place I know of that has wilds. Apparently they get stock off Heiko Bleher sometimes, not 100% positive though.

Also have seen a couple a while ago at Crystal Palace in Fivedock.

Hi, I'm New Here!

'Wilds' from Stendker via Aquarium Industries

Hi all,

I purchased a bunch of Alenquer, Santarem and Stendker Tefe from AI a while ago and am extremely please with their quality and price (100 bucks for a 7 cm adolescent discus including all import and quarantine costs is not bad). While they are not 'true' wilds they look very authentic, are super-hardy and defending their territory well against our Sajicas and Bolivian rams. Great fish !

Ring AI, ask for Trudy and give her my regards; she will make you an offer you can't refuse !

Cheers, Florian

PS: Within a few months the chaps are now at approx. 10 cm size, feeding like mad on Merrilyn's beefheart mix ! Great stuff, should feed it to our grandson as well .

Never though about ringing them direct!
    Might have to make room for some newbies.

Just an Egg
    i thort ai was wholesale only .it states that on the website.regards lawrence
    discus.is there any other fish.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Getting wild / wild-type discus through Aquarium Industries

AI is a wholesale importer, correct, but you can coordinate your order with them and ask for delivery through your local fish store. Obviously they will charge a mark-up, but it's worth the effort - of the 18 discus we ordered 2 died out of our own stupidity (didn't turn off the CO2 over night), and 1 succumbed to illness and served as food for the others. The rest is superb, has grown now to about 12 cm and they eat like dogs.

All in all I can wholeheartedly recommend to have a chat with AI; they have access to all fish from Glaser in Germany (and these guys DO have some fish...), as well as Stendker for the discus.

Caveat: don't mix German discus with Asian ones - it'll wipe out your fish.

Hope this helps !

Free Swimmer

Re: Getting wild / wild-type discus through Aquarium Industr

Quote Originally Posted by prenzi
    AI is a wholesale importer, correct, but you can coordinate your order with them and ask for delivery through your local fish store.
    Just as a matter of interest...if you have a registered business and ABN would they deal direct, even if the business was not a LFS?

Cheers,
    Scott

Just an Egg
    yes i have done the same thing(ordered through my lfs but the lfs owner and i came to a agreement on a fair price so everyone was happy)not retail price
    discus.is there any other fish.

Re: Getting wild / wild-type discus through Aquarium Industr

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoti
    Quote Originally Posted by prenzi
    AI is a wholesale importer, correct, but you can coordinate your order with them and ask for delivery through your local fish store.
    Just as a matter of interest...if you have a registered business and ABN would they deal direct, even if the business was not a LFS?

Cheers,
    Scott
    I doubt it very much Scott. They'd risk upsetting a lot of retailers if they start dealing directly with the public. They also need to deal in large quantities to make it worth their while. Best to ask your local fish shop to get your fish in with their next order.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev
    Don't mind paying a reasonable price for good fish, but resent some of the huge markups most lfs put on em.

Paying $20 for a fish they bought for $10 ain't the same as paying $350 for something they got for $120.
    I can see your point but i must add that importing wilds is a risky business and the DOAs can sometimes be high, if an importer is willing to take the risk , then he will try to reduce that risk by increasing the sale price to recoup some of the losses he may have endured. Wilds just don’t travel well. Australian importers can not import directly from S America because Au Bio Sec do not recognize the health certification procedures in S America , so the fish need to have a middle man in a country excepted by Au Bio Sec , and then they need a minimum 2 weeks Quarantine in that country before sending to Australia.

By this time the fish has been extremely traumatized depending on the care given by the middle man and most likely hasn’t eaten yet, so when we get them hear they are absolutely spent and well and truly on the down hill run. It should also be noted that the middle guy will put his margin on top as well. So when all these things a taken into account it is easy to see how the price can be justified. You can get some fish from other counties that have had them for a while where the fish has had plenty of time to readjust, but these fish are few and far in-between. This is why the f1s are a favorable alternative for all sorts of reasons. and the obvious one is that most Australian importers have no control over the middlemans fish keeping. Although in our case this has be accounted for through our partnership holding facilities in the USA.
    In Japan some of these fish will cost 3 times what we pay, the difference in Japan is the price is primarily driven by demand and origin of fish.
    I hope this helps with your understanding of the pricing structure of the wilds imported into Australia
    FinVision is an Ornamental fish Importer with approved AQIS QAP holding facility, importing AAA Discus from the World Famous IP Discus Farm, Owned and operated by Mr Tony Tan, world Champion winner many times over and his Business Partner Jeffrey Tan is also a World famous Discus Judge, Traveling the word to Judge all the Major Discus Shows with a large panel of other world class Judges. Contact FinVision
    Office 0243536330
    Mobile 0412477997
    brian@finvisionlive.com
    Web www.finvisionlive.com

Nice to have you on board finvision.

Love to see some photos of your fish when you have the time.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend