Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Larvae

Activated Carbon in water aging drum

Ok I was thinking I would replace the air stone with a corner filter with carbon in it. My questions is how much carbon would I need to remove everything bad with 2 days possibly 1? How often would I need to replace it? The carbon is nothing special just the LFS home brand. I am looking to reduce upkeep costs as much as possible.

Hi, I am not completely sure about the water quality in Adelaide, but do you think it is necessary to put a filter in your water-aging drum?
    It would depend on the size of the drum; if it is a 200-litre drum a small corner filter won’t make a huge difference.
    Ok, i know the water here in Melbourne is different than what you have in SA, but i just have a heater and an air stone in my drums and it works a treat!
    My fish have never been better.
    I guess the biggest thing about the water here and there is it contains chlorine. With an air stone it will evaporate within 24 hours, faster if the water is heated. One thing too i also have in my drums is 2 catappa leaves in each one (see other post about subject) I have not noticed any huge difference but i believe this works somewhat like a tonic. Give it ago, you can only try. Also it will be cheaper than changing the carbon every 2 weeks.
    HTH and Cheers,
    Ben

Medium Discus
    I just think a airstone a heater and dechlorinator would be sufficent I dont think there would be a need for carbon in your drum especially if you age it for 2 days.

Leanne

i don't belive that carbon is what you need

just another expense, i would rather spend it on a series of timers and heaters for the storage tank to get the temp the same for water changes

it may be nice to put peat in a corner filter although i don't now weather this will be effective enough for 200lt, worth a try though
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Larvae
    Ok first of all, the drum is only 50L where 200 came from I dont know. Second carbon is lying around my house and I am running low on dechlorinator. Airation does not get rid of other stuff like heavy metals and chlorimines but carbon does. Peat is an interesting choice but I am worried about how yellow the water will turn and that is expensive if your buying from LFS!

Medium Discus
    If you have some carbon already lying around at your home you might as well give it a trial run and see how it goes,let us know

Leanne

200lt tank is what i use so i just assumed

why does you town water source have high levels of heavy metals?

i would use a little otto or similar powerhead with active carbon, you would get a better volume of water over the carbons surface area.

also don't buy peat from LFS try a nursery or bunnings etc.

anyone how wants some in brisvegus or gold coast PM me, i'll buy BIG block of it of the wholesaler, cheapest price in QLD

it will send some tannins into your water but that is nice for the discus, also drop your pH and add some minor elements to the water
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

do we really need it for people here on the gold coast at the moment? and where is this whole saler? i need to invest in a couple of test kits myself. ive got a fair bit of driftwood in my tank so i dont think i would need it.
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Gold Coast Water is perfect, just age it and your done

i don't add anything, no peat, no carbon, no nothing
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

thanx ryan,
    would it be benificial to put some peat in anyway?
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy