Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: water changes?

Just an Egg

water changes?

how much water changes should i do per week?

Medium Discus Discus Planetarium's Avatar
    2 50% each time should be fine

Just an Egg
    So do 50% each week ?

Think he ment 2 x 50%.
    I just change some every 2 to 3 days, but l've got 800 its in the tank.

Free Swimmer
    i change 100ltr of a 274ltr tank once aweek.

Medium Discus
    This is my opinion. Discus do not like to much new water contrary to what most people think. In the summer months in the wild most of the amazon dries up creating isolated pools with little to know fresh water for long periods of time. The ph is low and the water old. I never change more than 10% twice per week. The fish have a very strong resistance to infection and will let you know via tell tale signs that they want fresh water.

Free Swimmer
    yes more water changes are i feel for the purpose of breeding and growing out.

Just an Egg
    Boxters, this does even for a Discus noob like me sound very obviously native and agreeable, but the Discus we keep haven't been kept in dry pools for long periods in the Amazon Basin, or in very low PH (under usual).
    Please knock me down a peg if i'm out of line here. I am in no way trying to discredit anyones knowledge.
    I am curious though as to previous experience (not Discus But ......) wether some information is correct ? I mean i have spoken to a Discus breeder (no visual yet and not a forum member) but i have spent considerable time chatting on the phone, he tells me that he has no probs at all breeding his pairs in neutral 7 PH water, i have seen pics and wow, these are very nice fish (yes i will give his details or ask him to join here).
    Anyway my point is, i have bred Africans and South Americans in very similar conditions, Tap water,dechlorinated,aged,stabilised, no more, no less, water changes, conditions and whala they breed !
    As i previously stated, no discredit to the knowledge but, what is the origin of the fish in the tank ? Wild from the Amazon or bred from generations of developing in an aquarium ?
    Cheers,Scotty
    PARROTS RULE ! They have more intelligence than YOU !
    Everybody has to beleive in something, I beleive i'll have another BEER !
    If you don't like it the way i tell it, then go get a pretend life because i live a real one !

Quote Originally Posted by boxters
    This is my opinion. Discus do not like to much new water contrary to what most people think. In the summer months in the wild most of the amazon dries up creating isolated pools with little to know fresh water for long periods of time. The ph is low and the water old. I never change more than 10% twice per week. The fish have a very strong resistance to infection and will let you know via tell tale signs that they want fresh water.
    Gumby is spot on.

Poor advice and a dangerous post for someone who is a 'respected' member of the forum.

This is just your opinion of wild fish from the source, the Amazon (which in fact is correct). BUT it has little or no bearing on the modern discus keeper or methods used by the major breeders in Asia or Europe.

Any noob who reads that post will think they can get away with tiny water changes and this is definately NOT the truth or correct.

All of us discus keepers who have been around for a while know that we change water to get rid of organic compounds in the water, which, even though not testable are present in the water. A simple example is smoking in a small closed room, it soon fills up with smoke so everyone chokes. You open the widow and the smoke clears and you can breath again. This analagy is the same for our water changes...... but I shouldn't have to tell you this.

Post in such a way that noobs will not get hold of the wrong end of the stick.
    For the benefit of any noob here, 40 to 50% twice a week is enough to keep your fish happy and thriving.
    Why me ?

Blue Diamond Discus
    Agreed with Hollowman. You only have to look at how bright your discus become after a nice water change. I think they love it