Thread: oh no

Hi, I'm New Here!

oh no

hey guys
    after some advice
    i have a young marlboro red in serious trouble
    i had him in a tank with a red alenquer, cobalt blue and speckled pigeon blood for a week and things were going great.
    after this week he started looking a little average so i treated the tank for tapes and flukes, the others were fine but the little marlboro red keept getting worse. i then set up a hospital tank and isolated him. he stopped using most of his fins and dropped the dorsal, stopped eating, irregular bouyancy and now has a fungus and fin rot not to mention really unhappy looks, still has colour although not super vibrant

he has since been treated with 31 deg temp, rock salt, metronidazole regular water changes and now tri sulfa tablets

does anyone have any suggestions for what it might be and what might help.

thanks
    jeremy

Wrigglers
    Hello Jeremy.

Sorry to hear about the sick fish.
    I assume you have checked your water chemistry. Ammonia etc?

In my experience, discus can be damaged from poor handling, disease, and especially poor water conditions. Even though they make a good recovery initially (maybe they look good enough to sell?), if they have sustained too much organ damage, then they don't last long. If you haven't had this fella for very long, and the rest of them are O.K., it could be something like this.

I suggest you talk to ladyred about your fish, however. She seems to know a lot and had given me good advice.

Good luck.

Hi Jeremy, how long have you owned this fish. Can you tell me a little about the water he is in now. It seems like he has had a lot of treatments over a fairly short time, and if he hasn't shown improvement, we may be dealing with something else.

I'd like you to take all the meds out of his tank and just leave him in clean aged water for a few days. If he's not eating, try tempting him with live food, blackworms or brine shrimp, or even mossie wrigglers.

Give him a rest for a few days without any salt or meds in the water, and see if that makes any difference. Daily water changes will be necessary at this time.

After that, we might try looking at a different type of antibiotic.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    hey guys
    unfortunately he has passed
    i had him for about 2 weeks and he seemed a little timid amongst the other agressive feeders from day dot.
    he seemed ok in the fish shop however i was not really sure he was the one i originally picked from the tank.
    i tried him in clean water already, no good.
    you live and learn i spose.
    jeremy

Medium Discus
    Gees Im real sorry to hear that but your right its all a learning curve Ive been there and done that too so I know it can get pretty upsetting but you might be better for it and more prepared if it happens to you again.

Leanne

Sorry to hear that Jeremy. You did all you could for him.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend