SUPER VELITAIL ANGLES

Hi everyone, as some of you know I've been trying to breed some super veiltail angles (2 doses of the veiltail gene).

I got the parent stock of Matzilla a few years back and grew them out to adults, dad is a golden super veiltail, mum is a golden/koi super veiltail with a single dose of the zebra gene (broken bars on 1 side).

the fry have been problematic to say the least, I've had 3 spawns fail completely at the free swimming stage, the extra copy of the veiltail gene is supose to be incopatible with life, and it seems to be reasonable true, however as both parents are super veiltails it looks like one of the gene seems to only adversly effect growthrate rather then be lethal.

Of the fry that do survive 25% have been blushing, this means that both mum and dad carry a stripless gene.

The majority of the fry have fin defects 50% have bent top and bottom fins, 25% have a bent fin (either top or bottom), 25% have no defects at all.

Intertestingly almost all the "blushing" fish have defects, so I'm assuming the combination of double veiltail and double stripless carries some major hinderences to development.

That being said from my batch of over 200 eggs I've got 24 PERFECT superveiltails, I'm keeping 7 to grow on for breeding (hoping to have black, koi and blue veiltails/ super veiltails within the next year or 2) the other 17 are up for grabs if anyone else is keen on them (please see this thread http://www.discusforums.com/forum/vi...994&highlight=)

any way enjoy the photos I'll try and get some of mum and dad up when the camera is re charged
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf4664_854.jpg   superveilgolden_182.jpg   superveil02_729.jpg   dscf4664_854.jpg   superveilgolden_182.jpg  

superveil02_729.jpg  

interesting mate
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

thanks Matty.

here are the photos of mum and dad, umfortunately, neither wanted to display propperly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dad_412.jpg   mum_321.jpg   keepers.jpg  

these guys didnt make the cut, as you can see from the photos there are a quite a few blushing fish, most of these fish will have to be destroyed, some (blushings) I'm going to try breeding with albino p.sclare to see if i can transfer the stripeless gene and veiltail to another bloodline, the holy grail will be a blushing, super veiltail, albino. These would be 100% recesive for color traits and so crossing that with anoth other angle (pinoy, black blue, purple, platinum) would give you 100% veiltails with no disruption to color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rejects.jpg  

Shame there are so many bent fins, I will post a pic of some of mine if I can get a decent shot just to see what you think.
    Cheers Kath