Thread: aqua soil

Just an Egg

aqua soil

hi everyone,
    just wanting to know what people have come across when using aqua soil it seems to always be dirty and the plants are not going well at all
    i have a 6x2x2 with mini reef 2 inch of aqua soil i also add floish and do water changes every week and i also have a 5 foot metal hadile on the tank from 9am-4pm can any one help me out.

How old is the soil? Aquatic soils eventually become depleted of nutrients. I personally have never had any troubles with dirty/cloudy water but I've read of others that have..

What plants are you trying to grow?

Wrigglers

Re: aqua soil

Quote Originally Posted by pignoselover
    hi everyone,
    just wanting to know what people have come across when using aqua soil it seems to always be dirty and the plants are not going well at all
    i have a 6x2x2 with mini reef 2 inch of aqua soil i also add floish and do water changes every week and i also have a 5 foot metal hadile on the tank from 9am-4pm can any one help me out.
    i find the Best way to get help is to offer as much info as possible. For Example:

Age of Set-Up / Aquarium
    Brand of Soil
    % of Water Changes
    Brand of Light
    Type of Bulbs
    Specific Ferts and Dosages
    Type of fish
    Number of fish
    and finally, a photo of your tank

Then what ever else you believe would be helpful to assist others to help you.

Kind regards,
    George
    Slippery Little Suckers
    632 Anzac Pde
    Kingsford NSW 2032
    Ph: 02 93155288
    Fx: 02 93155388
    http://www.slipperylittlesuckers.com
    Closed Wednesday's
    Part of the Aquariums Australia Pty Ltd group.
    Disclaimer: We attempt to provide gender and species as required, however we can not guarantee gender, genetics or species.

Just an Egg

aquasoil

sorry guys , my tank has been set up for over 8 months and the aqua soil has been like that from day one it does not clear and i have a 5 foot jebo metal halide two white globes three blue,ph is around 6.5-7 and i do a wter change every week by 30 %,there is also a power head in there no very strong as well as a air disc to,there is a large mix of plants most are swords of all sort,2x banana lily,2x sick looking tiger lotus as well plus 8 discus ,2x cories and 2x placo all in a 6x2x2 with a xlarge sump which is made up of bio balls,sub strate and wool any help would be great i set tanks up for people all the time and never had a problem with water but this is the first time i have used aqua soil

Medium Discus
    what brand of soil is it? I havent experienced this before, but it may either be a bad batch, or more likely something else in your system. cloudiness in planted tanks is usually related to poor bacterial storage (not enough noodles in your sump, bioballs and cotton wont do much), algae bloom (over lit, under planted, lack of co2, too much nutrient... these are all balancing factors that will effect water clarity), high phosphates- this one is the most unlikely with your water changes. THe dying plants wont help, best trim and or remove the rotting matter.

More details will help.

Just an Egg
    thanks for that i will try a few things and see how i go