Thread: Algae Scrubbers

San Merah Discus

Algae Scrubbers

Hi,

Does anyone here have experience with Algae Scrubbers as part of your filtration? They sound like a great way of reducing Ammonia and Nitrates.

My bristlenose and little plecos are good but super?
    Sorry have nfi what your talking about.

Someone else might.

San Merah Discus
    "An algae scrubber filters water by moving water rapidly over a rough, highly-illuminated surface, which causes algae to start growing in large amounts. As the algae grow, they consume nutrients such as inorganic nitrate, inorganic phosphate, nitrite, ammonia, and ammonium from the water.

These nutrients are normally a problem in aquariums and ponds because they cause nuisance algae to grow, and also because they cause sickness and/or other problems in aquarium fish, invertebrates and corals.

An algae scrubber allows algae to grow, but the algae grow inside the filter instead of in the aquarium or pond. This causes the nuisance algae in the aquarium or pond to be "scrubbed" (removed), along with the nutrients that caused the nuisance algae to grow in the first place.

Nuisance algae in the aquarium or pond are not to be confused with the desired algae in the algae scrubber filter itself."

Medium Discus
    We sell scrubbies 10 for $3, haven't tried them myself yet though.

Sounds like a great idea I suppose it works the same way as my dense coverings of watersprite duckweed in my big tanks.

San Merah Discus
    Probably same result Jothy. A lot of the salt water guys use the scrubbers in conjunction with Miracle Mud with fantastic results but there's no reason they can't be used in fresh too. Especially as the Miracle Mud helps with HLLE. I've only recently read much about it and it seems to be a fantastic addition to any Discus sump.