Thread: Ammonia Burns?

Hi, I'm New Here!

Ammonia Burns?

I bought this guy last week he was healthy and beautiful. I put him in the cycled QT tank and in a few days the ammonia soared to 1.0 from 0 a few weeks ago. I tried everything I could to get the ammonia down to no avail. So I thought I'd take a chance and just pop him in the main tank. A few days after that the 3 Discus in the main tank now have clamped fins and are hanging around the top of the tank, not moving. It is a heavily planted tank, the ammonia has now also reached 1.0. I have added airstones and dosed with Prime, 90% water change. Temp is 30 PH is 7.

Does anyone know if this is ammonia burn if so is there any hope for him?

Thanks
    David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc01514__small_.jpg  

Blue Diamond Discus
    OMG this is very bad. I wouldn't have him in with any other fish at all. He is opened to infection and to spreading it. First of all turn the lights off cover him with a towel clean clean clean clean water every day and salt.
    Maybe drop the temp a little. I doubt if he will make it but you never know they can be tough buggers. You will need to keep up the water changes to keep the ammonia down in the main tank. I would really lighten up on the feeding or even not feed for a few days. If they are up the top again I would maybe drop the temp to 28-29. Check all the other water conditions as well and post them up along with water and feeding routine. This could also be ph burn. I am not sure if there is any meds you can use maybe someone else will let you know.

to me that looks like a mix of whitespot (maybe even velvet) + ph burn.

not sure if you can save that fish theres massive tissue damage to its side fins.

you could try protozin by waterlife, but just make sure you treat the entire tank as now all your fish have been exposed to the pathogen.