Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DISCUS - LYING ON SIDE

I just came back from being overseas and I have on adult male discus lying on its side on the bottom of the tank.
    The kids tell me it happened suddenly about a week ago. Initially the discus was very dark, almost black but has lightened up when he was transferred to a quarantine tank.

He tries but can not wright himself.

Any leads on what could have happened and suggested treatment.

The kids treated him with metro for about 5 days - rate 10mg/l - no real improvement.

Thanks,
    Ray

Very difficult with only that to go by. Change 50% of the water and get it fresh and clean. Then I would do a dose of epsom salts and see what he passes, this could give us a clue. If nothing after a few hours then worm, both these treatments are not harsh but could have him brighter quite soon.

If he does discharge something lets us know what it is a picture would be good as we cannot see his fins, gills etc to help to diagnose the problem and of course I say all this not knowing what the water params are like so we really do need more info.
    Cheers Kath

Thanks Kath,

What dosage of epsom salt ?

I dewormed them before I left on holidays - both treatments.

Ray

Free Swimmer
    hi,1 tbl spoon per 40ltrs.

Yep thats right! Have he pooped yet, what does it look like?
    Cheers Kath

He is still alive but still on the bottom of the quarantine tank on his side.

Monday: I dosed with epsom salt - 2 tbs to 40 litres but no improvement and no discharge.

Tuesday: Have added salt to the water - 1gr/l + metro @ 20mg/l.

If the metro does not work is there anyother type of antibiotic to try - I have nothing to lose !!

Thanks
    Ray

How is his breathing compared with the others?
    Cheers Kath

Larvae
    Hey Ray,,

when you ask for help it is a good idea to do as the guru's say, swifto advised at 1sp/40 ltrs so why dose 2/40??? then add metro on top.

If a race car comes in and the driver sais he'd like a little more turn in on the front end, the mechanics dont then go and muck with his rear suspension as well and just add some extra pressure to his tyres cause they're clever and they can do they?????
    THE DISCUS DISEASE SYMPTOMS SEEM TO BE SITTING IN FRONT OF TANK FOR HRS ON END!!!

REALLY WEIRD FOR AN ADDRENALIN JUNKY!!!

Hi Kath,

His breathing is similar to the other fish.

No real improvement at this stage but given how sick he is he may need a few days to show if it is helping.

I treated with epsom salts a day before a response was posted at a rate of 2 tbs per 40 litres as the going articles on the forum suggested between 1-2 tbs per 40 litres . In any case it certainly did not hurt him.

If anyone has any CONSTRUCTIVE comments it would be appreciated to save this beautiful fish.

Thanks,
    Ray

Hi Ray sorry to hear about your fish. It sounds like a swim bladder problem. In the qt tank I'd be rising epson salt at 1 tbs/40L this will stop the fish from retaining too much water in his tissue and give the swim bladder a chance to recover. Adding metro will stop any infection from getting into the swim bladder and help control any infection already there.

If your fish doesn't recover in a week or 2 I'd put it out of it's misery. You should start seeing results in 5-10 days