Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Larvae
    at present am back to two light tubes only and am changing about 25% daily, c02 is pumping around 3b/sec and have had a crack at some api algafix, so far it has killed off allot of the annoying stringy stuff and i have just been sucking it out every day, so far so good.

we are moving house in a fortnight so i am planning on bringing in another bag of gravel to bring the thickness up a little as it has thinned out over the year, would anyone suggest using any other form of substrate other than gravel?? clay types as iv heard and read a little about???? now that this house is actually mine i am going to get a little creative and maybe have my water change tank in the roof so i can have it plumbed up all the time and gravity feed the water down via a float switch. the roof is kind of a room more than an attic pretty cool
    THE DISCUS DISEASE SYMPTOMS SEEM TO BE SITTING IN FRONT OF TANK FOR HRS ON END!!!

REALLY WEIRD FOR AN ADDRENALIN JUNKY!!!

gravel isnt the best for plants unless its been enriched with mulm over some months/years

your better using a comercial substrate as a base, i've had good results with flora base, dupla ground, eco completes, i found flourite a bit harsh on stem plants and onxy seemed to depleat too fast but buffer my ph nicely against CO2.

to save money i've used a 1-2 inch deep comercial substrate with some laterites and a pinch of osmocote native plant mix and topped off another 2-3 inches with gravel.

Larvae
    ok i was wondering about some of those, how much would i need for the 4x18??

here are the two i was thinking??

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...=4014&catID=65

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...=3608&catID=65

would i get away with one of each??
    THE DISCUS DISEASE SYMPTOMS SEEM TO BE SITTING IN FRONT OF TANK FOR HRS ON END!!!

Depends on the colour you want the base of the tank, if your using a brown gravel use dupla ground, if your using a black gravel use eco complete, both are just as good as each other, eco complete has a more soil like feel dupla ground is more lie a gravel but the roots penetrate into the particals nicely.

Larvae
    at present its the good ol 3mm coffs which is white ish with the yellow through it, black might be a go though jsut to make the fish stand out a little more, do you think 20 ltrs would be enough or would i need 40??

Do the maths and work out how my Liters you need if your foot print is 4x18 then 120x45=5400, multiply that by the height (in cm) and divide by 1000.
    so for 1 inch (2.5cm) you need 5400x2.5/1000 = 13.5L

for 2 inch thick you need 27L and so on.

Larvae
    bought 40 ltrs just to be sure, just wanting this to be done right now im sick of always battling algae poor plant growth and doing it dodgy to fix problems,

So c02 check
    subtrate check
    fx5 with 36w uv check
    stash of big L and prazi check
    water change tank and pump check
    hmm light tubes need to be replaced i think i have 3x 10k tubes and a blue coral star

can you think of anything else i should add to the check list to do this once and for all????

Just an Egg
    Fertiliser