Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Larvae

Algae bloom since installing c02

Hey guys

Just trying to get my tank right after getting back in to it, having a few dramas as the algae that was in the tank re c02 now seems to be getting worse. iv been water changing every 2nd day to keep the phosphate levels at bay and have had stints of blackouts with no lights and blankets, only to now have my 1 week old tiger lotus/s and a few other plants start disintegrating. im not adding any ferts other than c02 and am trying to keep my kh around 100ppm. i have just installed a 36w uv sterilizer and ordered some matrix to top up my fx5 basket.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated
    Cheers Justin
    THE DISCUS DISEASE SYMPTOMS SEEM TO BE SITTING IN FRONT OF TANK FOR HRS ON END!!!

REALLY WEIRD FOR AN ADDRENALIN JUNKY!!!

Algae is the result of imbalance in your tank. What lighting are you using? You say your doing water changes to keep phosphate levels ok please post your phosphate nitrate nitrite and details of your lighting and substrate

Larvae
    so far this morning

ph:7
    kh:100
    po4: 0.5
    No3: 5 mg/l
    calcium: 0

lighting is a t5 unit with 4x54w tubes with 3 white 10k tubes and a blue i think 12k.

Substrate is 3mm coffs gravel
    THE DISCUS DISEASE SYMPTOMS SEEM TO BE SITTING IN FRONT OF TANK FOR HRS ON END!!!

Sweet cut your light back to 2 10000k tubes only set your co2 at ~ 30ppm this will overclock your plants and make them out grow your algae if you still have strong algae growth in 4 days put a sheet of toilet paper between the lids and light to diffuse it untill your plants get control of the algae

Hi Justin,

If your Tiger Lotus dies let me know and I can send you a pup from from the parent plant in my tank.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/26427-2ft-cube-revamp...-picture-heavy!/page2

Larvae
    thanks guys

jothy whats 30 ppm in terms of bubbles/sec??

Just an Egg
    Mate, I had the same prolonged algae problem. Tried a bunch of stuff but it wasn't till I changed my globes from 10k to 6.5k that I got control. Has only been a week since I changed but I'm calling light colour/temperature as the problem. Gotta keep the ferts and co2 up and make sure the water temp doesn't get too high. As illusn says put the plants into overdrive!

it varies tank to tabk i aim for bout 2-3 bps and it brings my pH down to 6.5-6.7

Larvae
    wondering if temp could be playing a part too. its sitting at 28 currently?? im wondering if i have to bang an order through online to get some more plants to stock it right up and give the algae some competition??

Just an Egg
    I take the line that bold is better but you have to ramp up in balance. With extra plants you need extra resources. If they can't get the resources they need they won't grow and won't outcompete the algae. I backed off on light and ferts when I first tried to battle my algae problem but that was the worst thing to do. Plants suffered and algae thrived. Also factor in fish bioload. Water changes I think small and regular is good.