Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Which canister filter?

Hi everyone,

I have been floating around and see that there are a great variety of canister filters being used and recommended. Which is making choosing one suitable for me to be rather difficult.

I have just purchased a 4 x 2 x 2 foot tank and am looking for a canister filter to suit that. I am only going to start out with a couple of fish at first and minimal decorations.

Can you use a cannister filter in combination with a hang on filter, or will this create too much current? What do you all suggest I look at? I will admit that price is a consideration but not at the expense of keeping the fish happy and healthy.

Free Swimmer
    hi, go eheim2075 or bigger,i just got the eheim2080 and put it on a standard 5ft as it has a flow rate adjustment,which means i can get a bigger tank later without changing my filter.

Free Swimmer
    There are many thoughts with filters, with eheim generally being considered the mercedes benz of filters (and perhaps Fluval being the BMW), but truth is while we all would like to dirve a beemer or merc, for some our budgets dictate a Ford or a Holden.

All get you from A to B, but efficiency, safety, reliability and cost of repair vary considerably.

Second thing to consider is that if the manufacturer says a filter will cope with 600l, then plan on it only being good for 300l.

It is safe to say if you get an Eheim 2080 (or Fluval FX5) it will cope with pretty much any tank you get in future and find you 4x2x2 a walk in the park - but you'll have to find $600 for the privelege.

Next up you could look at the eheim classic range - perhaps a 2217 but you will be at its max capacity and around $300 poorer (brand new - or perhaps two second hand ones for your $300).

FLAME SUIT ON

If your budget doesn't stretch that far you could then get into the likes of Otto (which I have - german design, chinese construction, but quality unit) or AquaOne at around $150 new, but ideally you should get two of these units.

You could even go for a copuple of sunsun/proaqua/jebo/no-name filters at $100 each, knowing if they break its a throw and repace job.

FLAME SUIT OFF

Ultimately you need a canister to contain media (the more the better), and a pump to return water to the tank at a reasonable rate (turn over tank volume 4 times per hour seems to be the rule of thumb).

I run an Otto and a eheim 2217 on a 4 foot tank, and a SunSun HW304B and Eheim 2213 on my four foot tank and they do the job. I run two filters so that I have adequate capacity, spread the cost of purchasing, and have some redundancy when I clean them (only clean one each month) or should one stop.

BUT....if a 2080 comes up second hand at the right price I'll grab it. We all deserve a little merc quality in our lives :lol

Cheers,
    Scott

if your on a budget its hard to beat a couple of aquaone 1200's ($170ea), or even an aquis 2200-2400 ($300-$350), aqua one parts are cheap and easy to come by so you could afford to buy the filter and a spare impeller and seal in 1 hit and have the parts on hand for when something lets go. Personally i'd go a couple of 2217's ($300ish) on that size tank or a 2080 ($700) which gives you plenty of upgrade space later but as said above, it gets pricy.

if you dont NEED a canister, theres nothing wrong with a couple of aquaclear 110's (500 for us older fish keepers) for bout $120ish each just hanging off the back of a tank, way faster to clean then a canister.

Larvae
    scored my fx5 for $340 and havent looked back its brilliant.. learn how to barter and you'll get one!!
    THE DISCUS DISEASE SYMPTOMS SEEM TO BE SITTING IN FRONT OF TANK FOR HRS ON END!!!

REALLY WEIRD FOR AN ADDRENALIN JUNKY!!!

Free Swimmer
    hi,i got eheim2080 for $619 at trans,ebay for media kit.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will admit that I did have my eye on an fx5 which I found for $400, which is close to the top of what I was hoping to pay, and from what hsa been said sounds like a good deal.

With the fx5, I realise this does not come with filter media. What should I be using? I see some people do not like to use carbon? And what should be my cleaning and changing method for this filter?

just fill it with biomedia from memory 4L of matrix or something similar will be more then enough, cleaning is sinple every month or so turn the filter off gicve the media a quick wash with tank water and ring the sponges out in buckets of tank water till cleaner(er). you will have to replace the so=ponges every year but the matrix will last you for ages if you keep it clean.

Larvae
    Hey kandaii it should come with all the external sponges and then yeh use the matrix like jothy suggested thats what i have
    THE DISCUS DISEASE SYMPTOMS SEEM TO BE SITTING IN FRONT OF TANK FOR HRS ON END!!!

REALLY WEIRD FOR AN ADDRENALIN JUNKY!!!

Wrigglers
    Give the FX5 a miss and get an Eheim 2217 Classic (or two). That way you won't be dissapointed.

Cheers!

Greggy