Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At wits end

Larvae

At wits end

I'm just lettin you know that I'm giving up on my discus. I had them cured and now they have stopped eating again. Have about 9 left from a starting of about 13. I know they have hex but I cant seem to get rid of it. So once they die I'll start again in a few months. Hopefully all tracers of hex will die with them. Hate given up on them but this has been ongoing for sometime now. Love my discus but enough is enough ;(
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

Free Swimmer
    Chin up buddy. I know exactly where ur at. I lost six in six months and was ready to go back to Africans but gave it one more go. By the second month with no losses I was expecting it any day. Been 4 months now and no losses. All fat and healthy.

Replaced the six I lost and got a couple of extras now - 13 in total.

And if u really are giving up on them, don't let them die. I'm sure one of the more experienced folk would be prepared to try and save them.

Cheers,
    Scott

Wrigglers

Re: At wits end

Quote Originally Posted by Decapper
    I'm just lettin you know that I'm giving up on my discus. I had them cured and now they have stopped eating again. Have about 9 left from a starting of about 13. I know they have hex but I cant seem to get rid of it. So once they die I'll start again in a few months. Hopefully all tracers of hex will die with them. Hate given up on them but this has been ongoing for sometime now. Love my discus but enough is enough ;(
    You have mail

Larvae
    Ok well I'm giving it one last go.. Increase water temp to 34 (taking sometime) as some advised. Also I read at 34 hex seems to die off. Also I'm bring down my PH to 5.5 so hopefully with both this methods in place hex will disappear.

Fingers crossed it works.. Anyone know how long discus will last at 34c
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

min lasted 6 weeks or so till i noticed it was a little too warm, just make sure you have an airstone or 2 in there

Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN from another thread
    for use with metro epsun salt helps, i think Samir found an article that had Epsom salts working to kill spironucleus at 70mg/L but you'll need to double check.

Dam.. Epsom salt... Just read a fair bit on this and I could not believe my eyes. So I tried force feeding one of my fish with the 3% mix and no word of a lie one discus I thought that was on the road to death, Only 10mins after force feed he is out swimming with the rest and looking like he's grazing for food (not eating yet). I'll keep updated
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

Larvae
    Just keeping my results here. After one night and only one feed(3% epsom salt). A discus that was sitting in the corner hiding not eating and looking very thin is now out and trying to eat.

I'm now soaking blood worms in epsom salt for the others that are very jumpy and some hiding under plants.

I also have a very very thin discus that I gave epsom salts 3% force feed last night. With no real change.
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

Larvae
    Been busy restoring a boat of late. But just as an update I want to let ppl know of the results I have .

Epsom salts I ran short of time. I could not continue force feeding - .. I did add 2 cups to my 6x2x2 tank and have found that after 2 weeks with no water change I have no signs of fluke. Go figure! ( i known 2 weeks is too long for water change but I have a large tank and strong filtration with very low stock now)

I increased the temp to 34 and decreased PH to 5 and I have found that all my Discus are eating like PIGS!!!

Conclusion. I'll never use meds again! Nothing but trouble and loses.

Temp - Epsom salts - Plain salt - Ph are the holy grail from my EXP.
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

Rock salt seems to cure a lots of fish problems, good to hear all is well again.

Just an Egg
    Hi ! happy to hear that temp and salt fix hex , now i suspect the article that using medication are written by the med company. haha