Thread: Water Change

Larvae

Water Change

Hey guys

Just moved my tank after after a clean up and purchased a 200 ltr (food grade) water drum just really concerned about the smell coming from it. its kinda bad enough to make your head spin when you breath it in reall plasticy type smell,

any advise

can i do a water change?? is it just the plastic or has it absorbed some type of foul smelling vinegar from a previous life??

Many thanks Justin
    THE DISCUS DISEASE SYMPTOMS SEEM TO BE SITTING IN FRONT OF TANK FOR HRS ON END!!!

REALLY WEIRD FOR AN ADDRENALIN JUNKY!!!

Blue Diamond Discus BigDaddyAdo's Avatar
    What was it used for?
    I don't get drunk I get AWESOME!!!

You need to give these drums a good wash and sun dry before you use them. If it smells wash it again. I treat mine with bleach then let them sun dry for a few days then fill with water add a 5-10x dose of prime or safe. I drain and then I use it.

Larvae
    Hey guys

i have a feeling it may have been a pickle drum by the smell, will try the bleach Jothy i had washed it quiet a few times and left it in the sun. it had been airing for about a week so i though oh well ill fill it up and bring it inside, but i tell you what the smell when i opened the lid wooohhoooo and it made even the water smell after i tried some in a bucket, will have another go and if no luck will take it back to him and ask for a refund cause he told me they were clean..
    THE DISCUS DISEASE SYMPTOMS SEEM TO BE SITTING IN FRONT OF TANK FOR HRS ON END!!!

Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN
    You need to give these drums a good wash and sun dry before you use them. If it smells wash it again. I treat mine with bleach then let them sun dry for a few days then fill with water add a 5-10x dose of prime or safe. I drain and then I use it.
    Good advice, i would do the same ,has worked well for me in the past.
    Regards,
    Ben

Larvae
    Hey all

Gave up today after severall washes and decided to take it back to the old farm Hick!!! he wasnt there and the lady in the office sais " oh look im so sorry did you say it was for fish (carl is a trainee and must have forgot they had animal shampoo in them you need the screw top drum) I politely asked for my money back and said i didnt have a use for it any more which she was more than happy to refund for the mix up!!!!

Lesson learnt Dont buy 2nd hand crap from a farm shed!!!!!

Geez.. that could have been disasterous mate! Glad you were suspicious of it
    I got one a while ago but after inspecting several that had a similar issue to yours, decided to wait until a fellow aquarium keeper was selling one.

Free Swimmer
    I got mine from a guy that had at least a hundred - all pickled cucumbers from India with remannts of the vinegar and pickles in the drum and the customs label on the outside.

A couple of rinses and a couple of days in the sun and all smell had gone. Filled with water and left overnight and all tested OK.

Looks like I was lucky for a change!

Cheers,
    Scott

Larvae
    yeh i just thought hmmm its been 3 weeks since i got it and its still not right ill try again and again but lucky i didnt go with my normal ways of just wing it or they would have all been dead i dare say!!